• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cordless Impact

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wanting to pick up a cordless impact for the trail. I've seen one of the makita's in action and was really impressed with its weight/size for the power it offered. Anyone have any experience with any brand or specific models i should look into?

My friend has a SnapOn 18v, it's worth it's weight in gold. 420 ft/lbs output and 620 ft/lbs breakaway output... whatever that means. I've used in countless times and I have nothing bad to say about it whatsoever. Pricey of course, but worth it I believe.

Another buddy has a DeWalt 18v, and it's decent. I don't like how the forward/reverse is built into which way you push/pull the trigger though. Also the ball detent on the square drive isn't really a ball, but more of a pin and is way too long. You have to slam a socket on to use it, and push it in with a small screwdriver to get it off. Far less torque than the SnapOn at only 300ft/lbs.

Both of them weight almost exactly the same.

I have one of the first Snap-on 12V 3/8's impact guns and its great. Not super powerful but gets the job done. I know Makita's drills are nice, so I do not know why their Impacts would not be. The Snap on will definitely empty your pocket book. Most of the other tool manuf. have similar if not the same cordless just badged different.

x4 on the Snap-On. I've got an older 1/2" 12V model and it'll take lug nuts off, or whatever else I need. Plus the battery life is amazing.

I own the makita 18v li-ion version and I love that thing. I definitely suggest getting li-ion but they are a little pricey. I have used the Matco 14.4 nicad and it does the job but the Makita is much better.

They all suck because your dealing with "batteries".Maybe in the next "Century" they will come up with a better one(battery).Until then just get a 12volt(cord type) or OBA

They all suck because your dealing with "batteries".Maybe in the next "Century" they will come up with a better one(battery).Until then just get a 12volt(cord type) or OBA

Spoken like someone who doesn't have one.

My 28v Milwaukee lasts all day on two batteries and spins to 400 ft lbs. I never bother turning the compressor on anymore.

Its not about how long it will last on a charge.Its a battery like your Cell phone,Laptop,etc and it will fail.

+1 on the snap on. cordless. The air impact is beginning to rust under a pile of dust ever since we got this thing, does everything I ask it too...

Its not about how long it will last on a charge.Its a battery like your Cell phone,Laptop,etc and it will fail.

sure, and then you rebuild it using $5 lipo cells from China.

it;s not really that big of a deal.

sure, and then you rebuild it using $5 lipo cells from China.

it;s not really that big of a deal.

Wouldn't be the first thing you've built in a basement Nate! :D

Honestly I'd use an air impact as an excuse to install OBA on the rig... it's not that expensive if you do your homework, and is awesome for all manner of other stuff - airing back up, airhorns, lockers if you get air based ones, etc. It's also a lot easier to find air powered angle grinders for cheap than it is to find cordless ones for cheap. Sure, you may not need an angle grinder on the trail now, but if you ever bring along a welder, you'll be happy you have one.

I have the craftsman in the link below. I have used it for my shocks, struts, ball joints, bushings and more on my jetta. Now i have the front axle and trans out of my xj using this. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I would recomend it to anyone and would buy the exact same model if it was lost/stolen.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917090000P?prdNo=3

i have the snap on 18v one... best tool i ever got.. i used to tow trucks and had to pull countless axles and change tires all day... ive had it for 3 years and the batteries seem to last me well after the job is done so im not sure what everyone is complaining about with it being battery powered. plus the only time it couldnt get a bolt off and another impact gun did.. it was a damn snap on blue point air impact.. and its more expensive than mine.

snap on impact FTW
ive removed semi tires with it, just plopped on a 3/4" drive adapter

anyone who hates on the electric impact doesnt own one or thinks they are too good for one,
OBA, blah blah blah,
batteries fail blah blah blah

what if your OBS fails?

multiple batteries win everyday

anyone who hates on the electric impact doesnt own one or thinks they are too good for one,

Quoted for truth. If you've used one, you know how efficient and convenient they really are. Of course, everyone has their preferences...

Back