• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Clearance and LowerControl Arms

nates94xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3" lift with 31" tires on stock wheels. It's rubbing on the stock lower control arms pretty bad at full turn. If I replace the LCA's with aftermarket tube ones, from Iron Rock or Rusty's, would that completely solve the rubbing problem?

No, you need offset wheels or spacers for the stockers. I have 32's on stock wheels with RC adjustables and it rubs near full lock. The only benefit to have a tubular arm with rubbing is they don't shread your tires.

no.
adjust youre steering stops out, theyre located on the knuckles.

or buy wheels with a bigger backspacing, if you dont want to loose turning radius.

my xj' has rubbed at full lock sinse i built it, the only people who complain are OTHER PEOPLE, it took me 2 weeks to figure it out that 'if i turn ALL THE WAY, it'll rub, so dont turn all the way?'

Using WJ Lower control arms should solve your problem. They have a bend in them to allow for tire clearence. You have to modify the WJ Wider control arm bushings a bit to fit the xj, but its fairly easy.
As an added bonus they are stronger that XJ arms & They ride better.
Search WJ control arms & you should find a few writeups that explain what has to be done in detail.

I'm pulling an offroad trailer, so I need all of the turning radius I can get. I'll look up the WJ control arms, thanks. Maybe I will just go back to the 30's:0

no.
adjust youre steering stops out, theyre located on the knuckles.

or buy wheels with a bigger backspacing, if you dont want to loose turning radius.

my xj' has rubbed at full lock sinse i built it, the only people who complain are OTHER PEOPLE, it took me 2 weeks to figure it out that 'if i turn ALL THE WAY, it'll rub, so dont turn all the way?'

And we have a winner! :clap:

Does anybody make aftermarket arms with a bend like the WJ's?

I myself have the steering stops spaced but it does noticeably reduce your turning circle. You lose the ability to do some U turns.

I recommend going the larger backspacing route. You can get some steel wheels for $50 a piece on quadratec and you are making your rig more stylish and its still cheeper than buying other control arms.

cragar soft 8's $183 shipped to 88220 from summit

You can go with wheel spacers if you really want to keep your stock wheels.

When I was running 33x10.5's on my stock wheels, I put two washers under each steering stop which reduced the issue to just minor rubbing on the passenger side LCA at full lock.

Fast forward 8 years and I finally removed the steering stop washers and got some wheels with the proper backspacing. I sure miss the looks of my stock Ecco's, but I love having my stock turning radius back! I had forgotten just how tight my XJ turned...:yelclap:

I recommend going the larger backspacing route. You can get some steel wheels for $50 a piece on quadratec and you are making your rig more stylish and its still cheeper than buying other control arms.

People always recommend wheels with different backspacing but never mention the downside. The downside is the wheel moves more forward/backward because it's further from the knuckle axis, so you're more liable to rub when you steer unless you trim.

Back