• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problems

choptrees

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ, 4 litre, 6 cyl, automatic. Until recently it started when I turned the key. In the last week it's developed a starting problem, it turns over and over and eventually catches and then runs and drives fine. Seems to me like it's not getting fuel on start up, tank is full, so I was thinking maybe the fuel pump. I was thinking the fuel filter may need replacing, but read somewhere else online that it doesn't have a fuel filter(??). I've let the coolant run low, so maybe the engine is overheated (temp gauge isn't reliable), but the problem still exists first thing in the morning.

Any ideas on what the problem may be would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How do you check the prime? I am having the same issue with my '97 and I think that it is a gas issue too. Mainly in the AM after sitting all night. During the day while running around, it starts fine.

Appreciate any help.

Jeff

"Prime" comes from turning the key to ON, waiting 3 seconds, then off and repeat twice more. This allows the pump to "prime" the fuel system.

Back