• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10s and 33s?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Anyone running them? I'm debating what gears to run in the new to me MJ and thinking I'm only gonna put 33s on it. It is an HO 4.0 with the AX-15. I've been playing on Grimm's site, but for something that is likely to become my DD I'm torn.

I did 200-300 miles today at 78 mph... and can see it not being an uncommon occurence.

I know concensus is 4.56s.... but was wondering from someone who actually is running the 4.10s and is DDing it, or at least drving it on road a bunch.

boy, you're probably going to get a bunch of opinions on this.... i did 4.10's and 33's on a man trans renix for a while, wasn't bad at all. felt/drove the same as the 235's and 3.07's that were stock. crawling in 4-low wasn't nearly as nice as 4.56's, but for a dd in an area without big grades to pull, it'd be fine. *IMHO*

lol, I'm sure I'll get lots of opions. I'm hoping for lots of "I know opions are lik aholes...but come for a ride or drive my junk and then decide."

I did 4.10 in my yj with ax15 and renix 4.0 and 33's. It seemed about as perfect as it could be for street. On the trail I would have wanted more. In fact the axles I had with 4.10's were from your yj!

Mine is a DD, and I take it beyond the Coachella Valley. 75-80 in OD is about 2700 rpm with 33's and 4.56's.

You will be running close to stock with 410's on a manual trans 456 is close to stock with a auto two very differnt beasts

If it is going to do a lot of freeway miles then I'd stay 410 for the slightly better mpg because when you hit a hill or go wheeling you have a lot better gear control than us with the autos. In my yj I had 456's and 35's which worked very well

I have 33 and 410's with a H.O. and ax15 and it does fine on road. but I also got a 4:1 t case to make up for it off road. So just do the 410's and find a 4:1 t case.

I ran this set up on my first jeep and liked it. I was DDing 200 miles a day driving from moreno valley to san diego. Performed ok off road had to use the skinny pedal more than most but that also had a lot to do with only having a LSD in the rear.

I would say go for 4.56's and call it a day. You will definitely appreciate it in the long run. Your in-town mileage will stay the same at the very least if not improved slightly. YMMV, literally( ha!) highway. If you are like most on here who go higher in tire size you will definitely be thankful you went with the taller gears. WHen I had one of my dakota's I am definitely glad I did.

go with the 4.56.....you wont regret it. especially if you decide you want to go bigger at some point in time.

I had 4.56s and 33's on my first MJ... but I knew I was going to 35s eventually. 35s I'd do 4.56s, or 4.88s all day long.

I don't want to lift this one as high, and while it'll be off-road occasionally, it will be doing lots of long-range parts runs... which is actually where the question came from. I wonder with say an axle or two in the back if the 4.10s would still be ok. Like I said originally, I did the math, and I like the numbers 4.10s are spitting back at me... but I'm still not sure.

I just picked up a front Dana 30 for it with 4.88s and the guy I got it from swore by the 4.88s and 33s... but he's got an AW4, and he has no problem spinning the motor 3000-3500 all day long. I had YJs with the 3 speed auto, and I remember how crappy my mileage was compared to buddy's with the manuals on the same highway at the same time, going to the same trail. I prefer more like 2500, which is where the 4.10s come in at about 75.

But then, if 4.56s is the answer, is it even worth the money to regear the 30? Thing is, I gotta buy gears for the 44 I'm putting in it, and wanted to nail it down. Damn this indecision.

The people saying to use 4.56 are probably talking about with an auto. The stock gear for the manual is 3.10 right?

So 4.10 is 33% lower than that, for a tire that is only 17% bigger than stock. You're already gearing lower than stock.

BTW how often do you carry an axle or two in the back? Do you really care if your performance isn't as good a few times a year? Like some people say, it's a Jeep not a sports car.

Calculations are to be used as GUIDANCE. You are not taking into account so many different variables that should be considered.

That said, I have a friend who swore by 4.88s with 33s with his AX-15. 4.88s with 33s in an AW4 was damn near perfect for me, though I wasn't able to cruise 80 (nor did I care to).

The calculations are what you go by if you want it to be the same ratio as stock. If you want lower, go ahead and go lower. 33s and 4.10s is already lower than stock.

As a calculations sort of guy I would like to note that calculations don't tell the whole story. They don't take into account rolling resistance, tire mass, higher wind resistance... etc. So you may well want 4.56s for 33s on a manual, but then again you might not.

I'm going with 4.10s and 33s on an auto (not ideal) simply because I already have the axles, paid a decent price for them, and don't feel like doing it all over again. Plus it's not my DD anymore so it doesn't really bug me as much if my gas mileage sucks a bit more, and changing my transfer case drive ratio or building a doubler will do way more for crawl ratio then blowing the same amount of money (roughly, give or take, etc) on gearing the axles lower. If I wasn't doing a junkyard upgrade (d30 out of a 4-banger, 8.8 with stock 4.10s) I would aim for 4.56s or 4.88s.

Also, stock 4.0L/AX-15 gearing on MOST vehicles is 3.07:1. Exceptions exist, as always.

I ran 4.10 w/33's 5 speed for 2 years. I always thought it was good until I wanted 35's. I bought the 4.56's and ran them til I got the 35's. WOW!! Loved it!!! Now that I have the 4.56's and 35's I wished I went 4.88's.... HA HA HA! Live and learn
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Back