• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water leak thread

dejr2000

NAXJA Forum User
I know we all have or have had them. Thought this may help others with their leaks and hope others will post what they have found on theirs.
Just got done replacing the floors in my XJ and found the source of all the fun.
Looks like I found the source of my leaks today. First and worst was on the drivers side. When it rained water enters the cowl area and should drain out but it found it's way in through an unsealed body seam from the factory. I've attached pics but didn't think to snap any before I sealed and painted the area but you'll get the idea. The water leaked out of the cowl area and dripped onto the wiring junction block and leaked into the drivers side floor. Blue circled area shows where leak water came from and yellow show where it dripped to and proceeded into the inside of XJ. I pulled cowl panel and sealed area from the inside as well as the area you see painted black.
DSC02574-1.jpg

I have found a similar leak on the passenger side and will show it unrepaired but you'll see where the water is seeping. The passenger side area is just above the washer bottle and when water leaks in this area it is dripping onto and leaking around blower motor so still need to reseal this area but I've at least located my source. Tomorrow will seal seam and reseal blower motor as it need to be replaced anyway.

DSC02575-1.jpg

Good pics, I'm sure this will help a lot of people to give them an idea of where to check first. :)

do you think that would cause it to come in and drip like underneath the dash on the passenger side? cuz that's what i've been getting. i think it could be that or i need to get a new water pump. but i think it's just this.

i think it comes in threw there then it sits on top of the water pump or some flat spot up in there and then whenever i turn a corner sharp it just pours out water. but yeah it only pours out water whenever i turn a corner. any ideas?

I know we all have or have had them. Thought this may help others with their leaks and hope others will post what they have found on theirs.
Just got done replacing the floors in my XJ and found the source of all the fun.
Looks like I found the source of my leaks today. First and worst was on the drivers side. When it rained water enters the cowl area and should drain out but it found it's way in through an unsealed body seam from the factory. I've attached pics but didn't think to snap any before I sealed and painted the area but you'll get the idea. The water leaked out of the cowl area and dripped onto the wiring junction block and leaked into the drivers side floor. Blue circled area shows where leak water came from and yellow show where it dripped to and proceeded into the inside of XJ. I pulled cowl panel and sealed area from the inside as well as the area you see painted black.
DSC02574-1.jpg

I have found a similar leak on the passenger side and will show it unrepaired but you'll see where the water is seeping. The passenger side area is just above the washer bottle and when water leaks in this area it is dripping onto and leaking around blower motor so still need to reseal this area but I've at least located my source. Tomorrow will seal seam and reseal blower motor as it need to be replaced anyway.

DSC02575-1.jpg

Hey actually what did you use to cover it up?

Back