• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me diagnose some noises

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
With the string of bad luck I've had on my XJ over the past few months, I'm paranoid about every noise the damn thing makes. The flowmaster I put on last year doesn't help either as it makes just enough noise to where I think I could be imagining things.

I just finished putting her back together today from doing the following:

New axle seal (driver side)
New unit bearing (driver side)
Replacing trans mount
Installing outer axle seals

Took her for a test drive around the neighborhood this afternoon, getting what sounds like a driveline vibe on deceleration, maybe due to the new trans mount?

Also getting an occasional squeak out of the drivers side front, mainly when driving straight or braking.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a new unit bearing coming for the passenger side, but I'm wondering if the new one on the driver's side is bad and thats what the squeak is.

...I could be imagining things.
I have so many squeaks, groans and ticks...I thought it was just me.

...Also getting an occasional squeak out of the drivers side front, mainly when driving straight or braking.
If it's brake related, have you checked your pads & calipers? Could just be a bit of gravel in there or a groove in the disk. Short of taking the whole thing apart, spray your brakes down with some brake cleaner followed by the garden hose to rule out crap caught in there.
I have a new unit bearing coming for the passenger side, but I'm wondering if the new one on the driver's side is bad and thats what the squeak is.
A bad hub unit usually sounds more like a groan, grumble or vibration as opposed to a squeak. A squeak to me indicates that someting needs lubrication. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Install your other hub and see how it goes.

Thanks.

I had taken the brakes back apart on that side once as I had a really stiff pedal at first; one of the pads had cocked and wasn't sliding on the caliper. Fixed it, sprayed it with cleaner, now the squeak.

I'm thinking the disc may be grooved. Pads looked good. I have some brake lubricant, maybe I'll coat the backsides of the pads.

Back