• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need help plz

xjrocker666

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a few problems with my jeep i have had my 89 jeep cherokee for 5 weeks.

sometimes when i will be driving ill be hearing vibrations to clunking when i turn or just accelerate it feels like the drive shaft but i have no clue

today i was out wheelen with my dad and brother and all of a sudden my jeep dies on me but my fan was still on and i pop the hood and the overflow tank was gurgling and the water was boiling and i look at the temp gauge and its passed 210 and i look in the over flow tank and it was empty after it was cooled down a lil bit so i poured in like 5 water bottles it cooled down below 210 but i cant figure out why it did it im still leaning so bare with me

please i need some help i will greatly appreciate it

sup dude, check your d/s ujoints, get under it and try to wiggle the rear driveshaft, there shouldnt be play.

dont let it overheat next time. jeeps get hot.
youve got a closed coolant system, research upgrading to an open system from a 91+. it's a lot less trouble. you need to bleed your coolant system.

noises on a jeep are a dime a dozen, you gotta explain it better.

on the rear drive shaft theres a lil bit of play so how would i fix that and how much??? and also it does it worse when im out wheelen the drive shaft makes alot of noise especially when in 4 wheel idk what it is i hope that makes it a lil bit more clear

i do think i need a overflow bottle because when i do fill it all the way and drive it for a lil bit when i turn off the motor it starts leaking out

and i think i have a closed radiator cuz theres no cap on the radiator (if thats what you mean)

rotational play on the driveshaft is expected and not an issue. When it has play up and down at the yokes or u-joints, then thats a problem. Just to be clear, do not drive in 4wd on pavement, you'll hear more than just noise but rather a large bang and there goes your t-case.

Check your ball joints if you hear pops when turning. Also helps to turn your steering wheel back and forth while someone checks for play in the TREs and pitman arm.

if its a ball joint how come i can hear pops when i accelerate or going up a steep hill...?

it scares me when i hear it because its pretty loud and not hard to miss,especially when off road

Could it be your transmission/motor mounts? If they go, the entire drive train lifts up and makes a nice sound underneath the body. Mine is doing this at the moment, so I have to do those repairs.

Could it be your transmission/motor mounts? If they go, the entire drive train lifts up and makes a nice sound underneath the body. Mine is doing this at the moment, so I have to do those repairs.

doooood have JeeperJohn make you up some mounts! I love em.

Gotta get him on figuring out a solid trans mount for me :D

i was outside earlier looken at under the jeep and i started to see if i can wiggle the drive shaft and i think i do need some new yokes for it cuz i can move it up and down but i still dont know im a newb on jeeps and 4x4 but i asked my dad and he said he doesnt know so im pretty stuck lol:explosion

Back