• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

metal recycling

comrad_zeelaagee

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a boat anchor that's sitting in my garage in the form of a 27spl 8.25 that i can't give away... so i'm looking to recycle.

called a couple of places and i got $.06 and $.07 as rates... is that fair? never had to do this before.

btw- i'm in n. san diego cnty.

I remember I only got $14 for the back half of my old white one, you know the piece that almost flipped the dingo over.....

so i have a boat anchor that's sitting in my garage in the form of a 27spl 8.25 that i can't give away... so i'm looking to recycle.

called a couple of places and i got $.06 and $.07 as rates... is that fair? never had to do this before.

btw- i'm in n. san diego cnty.
O.K. O.K., I'll take it. If you can get it to me :D

O.K. O.K., I'll take it. If you can get it to me :D

so i gotta pay a half tank of gas to get it to you oooooorrrr.... get a few bucks down the road... hmmmm:passgas::)

:explosion:explosion:explosion

comin' through your neighborhood for memorial day- but i'll be loaded with camping gear. i'd be happy to gove it to you john, or anyone else for that matter... i just don't venture off too far these days with the kid and all

I got $22.00 for this, most of the body of a '74 Volkswagen that my sister and her tweaker ass boyfriend cut up and left the scraps for me to deal with.

IMG_0014.JPG

yeah, thats pretty much what those old fords are worth. You probably got $20 for the VW and $2 for the rest of the truck.

No way. For all it's quirks (generally caused by a lot of neglect) when I don't mess with it that is my most dependable vehicle. Get in, pump the gas twice, starts right up.

Mild steel is pretty well worth squat these days - last time I checked, the rate I'd gotten quoted was something like ten bucks for five hundred pounds - and they wouldn't touch anything less than 500#.

Mild steel, therefore, is something that gets cut up and thrown in the kerbside bin for the City to pick up. Don't you have kerbside bins? Got a grinder, or a Sawzall and some of those excellent Irwin carbide blades? There you go!

scrap aint as romantic as the guys driving beaters on trash day make it seem.

the only thing worth my time is extruded aluminum. stainless, and scrap steel go straight to the pickers, they make the world go round.

think of it from a supply and demand POV, you show up in a nice truck, with what is essentially your mixed garbage, and expect top dollar? you dont get top dollar unless you have good stuff or a good relationship with your scrapper. and even then, top dollar for mixed, dirty steel aint much.

I "recycled" a complete(well..cut up) 4 door XJ and got $25, didn't even pay for the blades and supplies to cut it up! Not to mention the labor it took.

Back