• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case won't stay in gear

87Deathwagon

NAXJA Forum User
After searching and finding no definite answer I have to ask. I got a 93 xj 143k roughly 4.0 ax-15 231 my problem is the t-case won't stay engaged in any gear i have to hold it in place. Got any suggestions? I haven't resulted in pulling it apart yet but from an overall brief look over everything I cant really find anything that would be causing this so I'm thinking internal. Figured I'd ask before pulling it apart. Thanks!

Have you checked your motor and t-case mounts?

Things that pull the transfer case out of gear:

Poorly adjusted shift linkage.

Transfer case drop without shift linkage modification.

Poor motor mounts and/or poor transmission mount.

Worn transfer case.

Combination of the above.

Do you have a transfer case drop? Have you checked your engine and trans mounts? Have you adjusted the shift linkage?

I just spent an hour trying to adjust my transfer case linkage and I cannot get it to remain in 4-lo. Using pliers, I can move the linkage arm to the 4-lo position, but it does not remain engaged. Yes, this is after loosening the bolt on the linkage rod.

I inspected my engine mounts and found the driver's side rubber bushing to be cracked. It got dark and I did not check my tranny mounts.

The problem began last January after I installed my 5.5" lift. I'll have to wheel this weekend in 4-hi and fix this later.

Try this--pull the linkage rod out of the shift tab on the transfer case, then manually shift it into the different ranges, I've had to do that before.

You list a SYE in your signature so I am going to A**ume no transfer case drop.

Try this--pull the linkage rod out of the shift tab on the transfer case, then manually shift it into the different ranges, I've had to do that before.

You list a SYE in your signature so I am going to A**ume no transfer case drop.

I'm embarrassed to write this update, but I will in hopes it helps somebody with a similar problem. I'll try to keep it brief.

First of all, thanks for the reply. You are exactly correct with your answer and yes, I installed an SYE and have no TC drop, but I do have LCA brackets that actually drop the TC a bit.

During SYE install back in January, I got tired, pissed, and weary after the 10+ hour job. Hooking up the TC linkage was one of the last things to do and I rushed the job. What I failed to notice (until yesterday) was that I did not properly seat the linkage arm (with rectangular hole) on the TC shift bolt (with rectangular base). In other words, I tightened the nut on the shift arm and it was not fully seated. This misalignment resulted in the shift lever not able to fully deflect the shift arm and move the shift bolt on the TC into each position. I was lucky to have had 4-hi.

Anyway, the first time I wheeled after SYE installation I could not engaged 4-lo. I then tried to adjust the linkage as per your directions. After failing to adjust the linkage arm via trunnion bolt, I begain troubleshooting the problem. That is when I ultimately discovered my earlier error (bolt not seated).

I removed the shift arm at the TC shift bolt and manually moved the TC into each position with a wrench. Satisfied with the operation, I re-installed everything (correctly this time) and whammo, I got 4-lo. The long, cold January day, compounded by limited visibility and lack of any real mechanical ability (ha ha), doomed me.

I get to test my Jeep on the Rubicon this weekend, so hopefully I did not break anything else.

Last edited:
Really glad you got it!

Good luck on the Rubicon--I am green with envy!

Back