• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bushing replacement for RC fixed lower control arms

Lightfoot

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, not looking to start a debate on the quality of rough country parts, but I can't say im too happy with them. My lift is not even two years old, and all 4 of my LCA bushings are shot. My jeep has seen about 2 miles of off road time since then, and about 10k in road miles. I emailed RC and they wanted 40$ plus shipping for a new set. Price isn't too bad, but it was going to take at least a week, and I figured the new ones would fall apart as fast as the old ones.
so I pulled up this guy:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/Moog_rubber_bushing_cross_reference.pdf
and did a little searching. What I came up with was k8277, for a 79 mustang 2.3 turbo. Autozone makes a duralast verion of this bushing for 10$ a piece, so I took the two they had and ordered two more. The bushing ended up being a bit smaller than I expected, so when removing the original bushing, I left in the outer casing, and scraped out all the rubber. With the old bushing outer casing acting as a sleeve, I was able to snugly press in the new bushings. I then had to narrow down the bolt sleeve about .25 to get it to fit between the LCA mounts, and everything went back together nicely.
The sleeve over the bolts is about .1 larger than the original bushings, so make sure to torque down the LCA bolts so nothing moves around.
I only did the worse of the two sides, and already my wobble is gone.
So to clarify, this is for the fixed LCA arms from Rough country 0-4.5" of lift, I believe. The OD of the RC bushings was 2", and the arm is 2.25" wide.
The Autozone number is FB417

Sounds like you should just get the correct bushings,I dont think I would trust what you did.

there is no way for it to fall apart. worst that can happen is it comes loose, and creates some play some how. Its a tight fit, had to use a press to get it together, so I dont think it will. I wont spend money on the junk that was in there before, that's why i found a replacement. with a warranty.
The worst I can see happening is the bushing ends up rotating inside the sleeve and makes noise, the sleeve cant walk out or anything because of the mounts on either side of it. Its also only about .05" thick.
care to explain why you wouldn't trust it? what am i missing that makes it unsafe?

Back