• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rodeo D44 pics?

IdahoEagle

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone on here have a Rodeo D44 in their XJ/MJ? I'm curious how you hooked up the parking brake and if you've had any longevity problems with this rear with what size tires... I'm having a shop in SLC build up a Wagoneer D44 for the front and this is the rear I'm wanting to use, I already have it... I'm also wanting to run 63" Chevy rears spring over on my Comanche at the same time... 35s with Iceland Offroad flares and about 4-5" of lift is what I'm shooting for...

I had a Isuzu Rodeo 44 in my XJ.......... I was a good axle but I swapped it out for a XJ44. I really did not enjoy the spacer/adapters that are used to convert from 6 lug to 5!! Not alot of work to get one in. :wave1:

I just used a piece of angle iron and modeled it after the stock bracket that attacthes the cables to the parking brake lever. I was able to secure the isuzu parking brake cables to the floor of the xj using the stock two brackets that are welded to the transmission tunnel (where the stock cable was held in place). I can take a picture tomorrow (working tonight) of the brackets I'm talking about, but won't put my rednecked-engineered angle iron bracket in public view. That thing is embarrassing and I've been meaning to redo it now that I have some more proper tools.

im decently interested in this as well. theres one on cl ine maine with limited slip and 4:10s cheap. Heard that the wheel studs are really really weak on them as well, about the right width. the 63" springs would be nice...

Can the axles and rotors be redrilled for the 5x4.5" bolt pattern? Just wondering if there is a better way other than spacers/adapters or swapping the front axle. I'd like to ditch the 27-spline 8.25" I have now, and there are a ton of Rodeos in the junk yards....

Man, it's been so long since I've owned one. I don't even remember what the ebrake hookup looks like. Can't really tell from this picture, thats a zuzu 44 behind the 60. Lets see if we can get Chris in here, hold on, I'll track him down.

335125531jiHBrD_ph.jpg

DJ made me come to the party :wave1: I run a Waggy front, Isuzu D44 rear, 6 lugs both ends. I do, however, still use a spacer since the 95 I have is only 58" WMS to WMS -- get something like a 97 and I believe it will be 59.5 or 60, close enough not to need a spacer. The disc brakes are great, but the brake parts are mucho expensiveo -- so if you pick one up at the junkyard, make sure it has decent brake hardware, or you'll eat up the savings on a cheap axle replacing brake stuff. Stock are mostly 4.10 and 4.30, but there are some 4.56 axles out there, I believe behind 4cyl late models. All of the stock gearsets are the "thick" style, i.e. they use the higher numerical carrier -- I found another set of 4.30's cheap at Pirate and swapped those into my waggy. IIRC, the gear setup if you change gears uses an Isuzu specific master kit, since the pinon gear uses a crush sleeve instead of the standard shims... that's all I can think of for now...:guitar::peace:

I had a minute so I ran out to the driveway... here she is under the heep:
P5270166.jpg

Here's why you want something more late-model than 1995 -- see how close the leaf springs are to the calipers? And that is WITH a 1" spacer on the wheel and a 5" bs wheel...
P5270170.jpg

you can see in the above pic how I used the old spring-under leaf mounts as shock mounts, but had to cut a channel for threading the inner u-bolt through them... that was the driver side, here is the passenger:
P5270169.jpg

I don't remember precisely how I connected the XJ e-brake cables to the Rodeo e-brake shoe mechanism, but I remember it was simple and intuitive
P5270168.jpg

HTH:guitar:

Back