• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil spitting out of my dip stick?

Yeah if the PCV system was totally clogged that could do it.

Also some sort of horrible mechanical failure like a blown head or rings, but I'm sure you'd notice some other symptoms.

Pull your air filter and check it for oil.

A cracked piston could cause this but since it's running great I would bet against that. Might be bad blowby also but it runs great... so probably not.

If you don't find oil in your air filter, etc etc, check compression just in case.

i had this happening but the brilliant previous owner had fitted a pcv valve into the front hole on the cover even though these dont use pcv valves atleast on the 4.0s i mean. mine was basically plugged and using the easiest route out

Its a CCV system--no valve, uses a metered orifice. Small technical issue, but you would be amazed at how many people get P/off at the parts counter dude when they want to buy a new PCV valve for their 4.0, so lets keep things accurate.

There is a fresh filtered air supply hose and tubing that runs from the air box or CAI tube to the front grommet on the valve cover. The hose can become deteriorated to the point of collapsing when driving at highway speeds. Pull the hose and inspect its condition.

I didn't catch mine until after a 200+ mile highway trip and noticed oil spots on my rear hatch.

Its a CCV system--no valve, uses a metered orifice. Small technical issue, but you would be amazed at how many people get P/off at the parts counter dude when they want to buy a new PCV valve for their 4.0, so lets keep things accurate.

There is a fresh filtered air supply hose and tubing that runs from the air box or CAI tube to the front grommet on the valve cover. The hose can become deteriorated to the point of collapsing when driving at highway speeds. Pull the hose and inspect its condition.

I didn't catch mine until after a 200+ mile highway trip and noticed oil spots on my rear hatch.

I just replaced that whole breather, the grommet, tube and plastic elbow piece about two months ago. I re-installed my stock air intake, and got rid of the home made air intake. I did question whether or not the hole was big enough on the plastic elbow, to allow enough air to vent.

Its worked fine for a while but just recently it has started almost spraying oil out of the dipstick. I have some time tomorrow I will take a better look at things. Its spraying the heater control valve and dripping down my starter and on to the drive way in small puddles when I get home after driving on the free way.

I am tempted to plug it and see what happens (not permanently).

It'll probably puke out your rear main seal instead of the dipstick tube. Either that, or fill your air filter with oil spatter. Mine does both at the moment.

DOOOOOOOOON'T PLUG IT!!!!! kastein is right you blow out your next weakest seal, usually rear main. Then you'll have to find the clog that's keeping your 4.0 from venting, aaaaand you have to change the rear main that blew through which really sucks if you don't have a garage with a lift in it.

It probably won't actually damage the seal, just push oil through it. My bet is that if you do plug it and it blows through the seal, it'll stop coming out the seal as soon as you unplug it. The RMS isn't the lip+spring design that many of the other seals are, it's just a metal/rubber bit stuck into a slot, so it would be very hard for it to actually blow the seal out.

Still... won't solve anything, so why risk it?

That much "blow by" into the crankcase means trouble.

Time for a compression test.

I just replaced that whole breather, the grommet, tube and plastic elbow piece about two months ago......

The plastic elbow in the front should be different than the one in the back. It should be wide open, the one in the back has a small orifice. When I bought my '94 XJ, some brainiac had installed a small orifice elbow in the front location and it did exactly as you are describing.

Back