• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission stuff.

Loganfwx

NAXJA Forum User
Headed up to the mountains hoping to do some trails with a friend, but they were closed. So, headed back down, and right about the time we got to level highway, my, tranny (or something) started acting up. From a stop (in first gear I assume) there was almost no power. I would have it at 3.5-4.5k RPM, but I would barely move. It (I think) would shift into second, same problem. After about fifteen seconds of this, I'd hit 40-45 MPH, it would shift into third, and be fine. Normal response, revs, speed, etc. Now it's barely or not at all going into gear.

Also, just noticed this sucker is leaking a little tranny fluid and clicking. Is it a solenoid, and could it be my problem?
0511101254-00.jpg

If that thing is leaking tranny fluid you have a SERIOUS problem. That's your evap canister purge solenoid... it's part of the fuel vapor recovery system. It clicks during normal operation.

Tranny fluid probably puked up your dipstick tube. Check your fluid level, color, etc etc. You may have burned some clutches or toasted your torque converter or might have an electrical problem if it's not a fluid level / wear problem.

This was just after doing a fluid/filter change. Overfilled it the first time cause Autozone said it took 8.something quarts, and I put in 7.

So, have you corrected the overfill condition?

Ok, so now, after 15 miles of driving, sitting level, engine idling, shift the trans through all the gears, put it in PARK, and when you check the fluid level it is within the marks--yes or no?

At the time you checked the fluid as instructed above, what was the fluids color, smell, and condition (aerated?)?

Back