• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 tranny seal

87woody-atl

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm trying to replace the seal that is at the end of the tranny(after the transfer case) where the rear drive shaft slips into the rear of the tranny.

If anyone knows what it's call or a part number for it would be a life saver

I have been to every auto store and they either don't carry it or they sell me the wrong seal, I've also gone to the dealership with the result of themgiving me the wrong seal

I have a 1987 jeep wagoneer with 4x4, the seal has a metal perimeter with a rubber interior and a boot that hugs the drive shaft, hope that helps

From your previous thread I'm assuming it's an AW-4 transmission...

The seal you want is part number 8350 4055 (OEM part.) Fun to try and get your point across to the counter drone who thinks you want a transfer case output seal, eh?

EDIT: oh, aw4 in thread title, nevermind, I can't read :dunce:

From your previous thread I'm assuming it's an AW-4 transmission...

The seal you want is part number 8350 4055 (OEM part.) Fun to try and get your point across to the counter drone who thinks you want a transfer case output seal, eh?

EDIT: oh, aw4 in thread title, nevermind, I can't read :dunce:

Kastein, read this: http://nces.ed.gov/naal/

OH, dang, sorry man, you can't! :eek:

Yeah sorry guys but that part number is not correct, anyone else have an idea what that part number is, I know someone has to had to replace this seal

wait... you said at the end of the tranny but then after the transfer case. :huh:

Confused me, sorry - guess I'm a drone, or at least can understand why you're confusing the drones because you're talking about two different seals at the same time. You want 8350 1389, assuming you have an NP231 transfer case (do you?)

how does the driveshaft enter the transmission if there is a transfercase?

you need a rear transfercase seal. what tranferecase do you have, 231 or 242

No worries guys, 5 minutes at a tranny shop and they gave me the part, I've got no clue what the part number is, but that non English speaking dude rocks

Driving to the dealership 15 bucks, driving to every auto store another 10 bucks, giving up and going to a tranny shop run by foreigners f*cking priceless- except five bucks for the part

No worries guys, 5 minutes at a tranny shop and they gave me the part, I've got no clue what the part number is, but that non English speaking dude rocks

Driving to the dealership 15 bucks, driving to every auto store another 10 bucks, giving up and going to a tranny shop run by foreigners f*cking priceless- except five bucks for the part

they may not speak english very well, but your description of what you needed was not very clear either.

BTW, unless your native american indian, you had a foreigner in your family at one time.

Last edited:
Ok now I feel I have to defend myself.. My discription say after the transfercase, y'all are correct the driveshaft doesnt go into the tranny, actually I believe it's referred to as a extension housing but let's not split hairs

and I'm a foreigner to this country, who is a citizen, who speaks English with a southern accent/and I speak Spanish(my native tounge), considering I live in Georgia, I have nothing against foreigners moving to this country as long as they take the proper step to become legal, and make the effort to become educated in the language of said country

my comment of dealership/autostore/foreigner was simply a joke making fun of the dealership and autostores since they had diagrams showing where the part went and the product number but they still gave me the wrong part numerous times even though I was cross referencing there diagrams with the part I had removed and photos from my phone, to a guy that produced the correct part within 5 min.s

Ok now I feel I have to defend myself.. My discription say after the transfercase, y'all are correct the driveshaft doesnt go into the tranny, actually I believe it's referred to as a extension housing but let's not split hairs

That's hardly splitting hairs, it's describing what part you need! If you can't provide the parts people with the info they need of course you're gonna get the wrong stuff.

Garbage in, garbage out. :)

they may not speak english very well, but your description of what you needed was not very clear either.

BTW, unless your native american indian, you had a foreigner in your family at one time.

Seeing as they migrated across the land bridge from Siberia, they would qualify as one time foreigners too. Granted they were here a pretty damn long time before the Euros showed up...

The extension housing is the bit between the transmission and the transfer case... with the first seal I told you to get in it :spin1:

Yeah, I'm just giving you a hard time at this point. I keep spares of all the aforementioned seals (torque converter/input seal, transmission extension housing seal, transfer case rear output seal) on hand to avoid having to deal with the parts counter guy giving me the wrong crap these days. I just use the one I have around and then stick another one on the next rockauto order (or buy one the next time I'm at Crown.)

Back