• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wobble in wheel

Brett J

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, its been awhile, anyway, I have what seems to be a light version of death wobble. Before we get to far into things, I have a 3 inch lift with two inch spacers up front. I know its stupid to run the stock control arms but I simply ran out of money. Could this be a reason to my light death wobble? It just feels wierd. I cant describe it well.

Thats what I have heard. I think the same. I will get some this summer before wheeling for sure. Is it often tie rod ends go out?

Check your steering and suspension for worn out bushings and joints before you blame the lift on stock arms. Is that 3 inch lift + 2 inch spacers (i.e. 5" in the front) or just 2" spacers in the front? I'm running 3.5" in the front with stock arms with no death wobble now that I've replaced some bushings, replaced the tie rod with a stronger one with less wear on the joints, realigned it, and put larger, heavier tires on.

Make sure you realign the front for proper toe-in, and either get an adjustable track bar and center the axle properly or re-drill the holes for the track bar mount at the axle end.

Sounds like what I had. Feels like the beginning of death wobble, but never goes into full blown wobble. 3.5" lift originally with stock control arms. I tried replacing the control arm bushings, new track bar, many tire balancing and alignments all to no avail. Even put a shim on the lower arm to set caster. Everything was tight. Replaced the lower arms with RE adjustable and it went away. I later added a pair of Iron rock upper adjustable and it firmed the steering up quite a bit more.

i would invest in control arm drop braackets if you still have the stock arms.

5" on just stock arms is a terrible set up and should not be driven on the road.

Back