• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keys stuck

Auto: fiddle with the shifter lever. move out of park, then back in. also, try depressing the button all the way down on shifter while turning the key

Auto: fiddle with the shifter lever. move out of park, then back in. also, try depressing the button all the way down on shifter while turning the key

This happens in my 88 MJ sometimes. When moving the selector to Park, it doesn't 'unlock' the keys, so I have to bump the gear selector.

Floor shift? Try adjusting the park lock cable, runs from the key cylinder down the column and onto the trans hump under the center console.

Did you try turning the steering wheel?

Floor shift? Try adjusting the park lock cable, runs from the key cylinder down the column and onto the trans hump under the center console.
Mine is stuck too and I tried this already.I took the center consol apart and popped that thing up on the shifter cable and then popped it back in place.still stuck

Mine is stuck too and I tried this already.I took the center consol apart and popped that thing up on the shifter cable and then popped it back in place.still stuck

Did you pop up the lock button, then pull the cable as far forward (towards the dash) as possible, then release the cable and lock the button?

What I did to cause the problem was I pulled the lock button up and then ran the shifted from park down to 1-2 slowly but about 10 times and then popped the lock buttin back in and the went to pull the keys out and then i realized it was stuck.What did I do wrong?

Why did you do that? :huh:

Try putting it all back together and turning the wheel slightly in one direction or the other. The park lock keeps you from starting the vehicle iirc, this is what RCP Phx was getting at. Confused the hell out of me the first time I ran into it.

Getting frustrated....The nss is acting up too.I wonder if I took it off and cleaned it if it would help the key problem.I am planning on taking it off anyways but I would think it's two diffrent problems right?It's weird because the steering wheel doesn't lock no matter how much I turn it.

Getting frustrated....The nss is acting up too.I wonder if I took it off and cleaned it if it would help the key problem.I am planning on taking it off anyways but I would think it's two diffrent problems right?It's weird because the steering wheel doesn't lock no matter how much I turn it.

Two different issues, no connection between NSS and Park Lock.

I know I have a nss problem and am planning on removing it and cleaning it on Sat.But now I have the key issue.I have only had the jeep for a month and am still learning.

Back