• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a professional tool shopping list please

soopergoober

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the deal. I just found out that while I'm in technical school I get 50% off on any snap-on product. I'd like to have a complete kit suitable for a profesional auto tech pieced together before the program ends in a year at which point I'll have to put together a kit at or near retail price.

So, I need help putting together a complete, practical kit. What do you guys recomend be on the shopping list?

What do you intend on repairing?
Where do you intend to work?(OEM or aftermarket)
What do you already own?

Two of Everything in their catalog!

Basic Stuff:

Tool box (bigger than you think you need because they fill up quick)
Impact gun (3/8 & 1/2)
Air Hammer
air ratchet
air drill
regular sockets (6 pt, 12 pt, allen, torx, etorx, triple square, etc)
Impact sockets (3/8 & 1/2)
screwdrivers
prybars
wrenches
ratcheting wrenches
hammers

Automotive Stuff

obd scanner
inner tie rod tool
tie rod wrenches
etc.

Right on man. I just applied for the same SEP deal and got approved haha. I'd say first thing would be get a box. The Classic 78 should be fine for the distant future, and you can always add on shelves and risers when you need more room.

Don't worry about hammers, I LOVE the ones from harbor freight. Their deadblows are top notch, definitely a high priority tool, and it gets beat to piss.

The other item worth it's weight in gold is the 18v cordless impact gun. Especially at 40-50% off, you just can't pass it up.

Your 3/8 sockets will get used more than anything else in the box hands down. Get a nice dual 80 ratchet, and all variations of sockets. Deep, shallow, 6 point, 12 point. Whether you need only metric or metric and standard will depend on what make of cars you work on.

I really like their prybars, they can take some abuse without bending.

Their screwdrivers are decent, but not really worth the price. At half off, it makes them a little more appealing so you might as well snag a set of those too.

Last edited:
Plan to work OEM. Already own a Decent assortment of Kobalt wrenches, sockets, harbor frieght hammers, etc. But don't expect those to last too long once they're used daily.
superior quality or not... almost all companies these days offer a lifetime warranty. i cant speak for some, but i know this is the case with kobalt.

i keep a full set of hand tools in my jeep at all time:
- 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive rachets with both 6 and 12 point sockets.
- universals
- extensions
- wrenches
- breaker bar
- pliers
- screw drivers
- hammer
- bigger hammer

at home pnuematics are a life saver, everything you can get your hand on! welders are fun too. punches, dies/taps come in handy all the time. and dont foget your unconventional tools either: pipes for added leverage, mirrors, magnets, anything that looks like youll never use. :)

I know the program has a $7500 cap, so if you plan on spending that much you better plan it out wisely haha. I can't believe it takes their dual 80 ratchet down to $41!! Now that's reasonable...

Another thing are swivel impact sockets. The low profile ones with a swivel head built in. My friend is a Honda tech and uses them day in and day out.

You mentioned OEM, but... what kind? Import, domestic, European? Each brand warrants a different set of tools. Granted if you order enough you'll cover all the bases lol.

I'd stay away from the SnapOn welders. I'd rather throw out some decent coin and know I'm getting a good welder from Miller/Hobart/Lincoln. Mirrors and all that jazz are super handy too, but I wouldn't get them from SnapOn. No need really.

You mentioned OEM, but... what kind? Import, domestic, European? Each brand warrants a different set of tools. Granted if you order enough you'll cover all the bases lol.
QUOTE]

That's the tricky part, if I can pick up manufacturer sponsorship I'd go BMW - If not I'll probably go diesel. So I don't know yet :wierd:.

Are you in a tech or trade school? I know UTI has fast track programs where manufacturers will scoop you up at the end and send you off to their training. Otherwise it might be kinda hard to land with Bimmer. But best of luck.

If you do go German, start looking into their brand tools. Hazet and Stahlwille make a ton of specialty tools for them.

Are you in a tech or trade school? I know UTI has fast track programs where manufacturers will scoop you up at the end and send you off to their training. Otherwise it might be kinda hard to land with Bimmer. But best of luck.

If you do go German, start looking into their brand tools. Hazet and Stahlwille make a ton of specialty tools for them.

I'm at UTI. Hoping to get picked up by bimmer.

Oh right on. I had a buddy that went through there and got in with Volvo. After he finished the UTI program they sent him to Arizona for Volvo specialized training for about 8 months. When he came was done with that he came back home and pretty much had a guaranteed job.

When I was at UTI I decided to get tools rather than the box. Look for a used Snap-on, Mac or Matco tool boxes or even Craftsman. The tools are what help you make the money. Worry about the tool box once you are making the cash. Get good sets of sockets, wrenches and ratchets, and basic hand tools. Once you get in to the shop enviroment then worry about special tools.

look at what you are using the most in your education and get at least one set of those. stuff like standard and deep impact sockets, a COUPLE good ratchets of each size, metric and sae standard and deep sockets, rattle gun, etc. then go from there if you plan on specializing in certain areas. for instance if you were going to go power train then you would need the specialty tools for rebuilding an engine, trans, transfer cases as well as stuff for gear installs, bearing and seal replacements.

dont get from snap on but also look into a good set of steel toe boots, face shield (for working on those really grimmey/muddy vehicles, and a good small flashlight.

X2 on the face shield and flashlight... I get face shields for 5 bucks at harbor freight, they're practically disposable at that price so I don't mind as much when I drop a wrench or a bunch of rust/dirt on the visor and it gets scuffed up.

Flashlight - get the 25 dollar rechargeable LED work light in the electrical tools aisle at home depot. Comes with a cig lighter charger and a wall charger, I keep one in each heep these days. So much better than a normal flashlight.

I know the program has a $7500 cap, so if you plan on spending that much you better plan it out wisely haha. I can't believe it takes their dual 80 ratchet down to $41!! Now that's reasonable...
You have people like me to thank for that. I abused the hell out of the program to the point that the snap-on rep at UTI in norwood almost lost his job over it.

My advice on tools- get whatever you need to fix your jeep, and run like hell. Go be a plumber or something like that, dont become insane like the rest of us.

on a more serious note, resist the urge to buy any specialty tools unless you are 100% positive you will be using them. I have traded in things I bought while at uti because some of those tools they tell you that everyone in the field has, are just about useless.

When I was at UTI I decided to get tools rather than the box. Look for a used Snap-on, Mac or Matco tool boxes or even Craftsman. The tools are what help you make the money. Worry about the tool box once you are making the cash. Get good sets of sockets, wrenches and ratchets, and basic hand tools. Once you get in to the shop enviroment then worry about special tools.

Good idea. A clean used box from off a local truck will suffice to get you started.

Three other considerations:
1. As mentioned earlier, know what you want to work on. When I worked dealer 1/4in - 1/2 drive were important, sockets & wrenches above 3/4in or 18mm were rare. Transitioning to bus rarely use 1/4 inch drive, never used metric so all that investment went home, had to purchase a bunch of specialty sockets, complete 3/4" drive set and wrenches and sockets all they way to 1-1/2". 1-1/8" was the most popular size. Buy impacts over chrome. Impact sockets will work with hand ratchets but using a chrome socket or extension on an impact gun is not a good idea.

2. Work rules if at a Union shop and some non-union shops have provisions to buy larger and very specialized tools. That should also be a consideration. When starting out in this career Do Not Purchase what will be provided by your employer. At both the dealer & bus shop everything over a certain size was purchased by the company. I finally got tired of tracking down this socket or that wrench and purchased my own, but by that time had the basics covered. Also Snap-On sells 'too cool for school' looking safety gleasses. Really? Who you trying to impress? Save your hard earned money and just use the workplace issued Birth Control ones. The blonde model in the convertible is not going to give you the time of day, she wants a ball player.

3. When new in the shop it is natural and kind of expected that 'the new guy' will not have everything he needs. Borrowing a tool once, maybe twice is allowable, but if you need to ask a third time...don't. Call Snap-On and purchase ASAP, don't need to get the reputation as a needy flake.

About UTI...when I interview potential mechanics that have survived the crueling testing process that human resources put them through UTI certificate holds more weight with me than being ASE certified. I have only had one UTI grad not work out in my 15 years of supervising.

Good luck.

Good luck with BMW, I was accepted to Porsche, make sure your MVR is up to snuff. Any citation in the last 3 years will mostly disqualify you.

The additional BMW generated test is not a joke, ASE tests are cake in comparison(and in general).

Make good friends with your SnapOn rep, They have been known to drop ship tools 2-3 years later...

Back