• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keys - what's the deal?

maalox

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of converting my '89 Limited to the later 1-key setup so I can get rid of the nonsense GM 2-key system. I am using parts from a '91 XJ, but I am having a heck of a time finding new key blanks for it. The Chrysler dealer has told me they are discontinued, and I am finding a number of places online(Quadratec, TeamCherokee, Morris 4x4, Acme, etc) that have listings for '86-90 and '94-00, with no listing for '91-93.

What is so special about '91-93 key blanks that they are so difficult to find? Does anyone know of a supplier for them? I'd prefer them to say Jeep on them, but can settle for the Chrysler logo if I have to. I really do not want to use generic no-name blanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you couldve just had the door lock cylinders made to work with the ignition key. wouldve simply eliminated the round head key for the doors. but arent the later door lock cylinders slightly different from the ones on your 89? do they fit in the door properly?

My '92's key blank is the same as my '96. The only problem is that the '92 keys are so worn that I can't have a copy made. Not enough pattern to copy. One is so beat that it easily slides out of the ignition when it is turned on. Works fine, though.

sometimes junkyards have ignition keys...just get one and grab all the locks out of it. and obviously the ignition cyllinder.

I am in the process of converting my '89 Limited to the later 1-key setup so I can get rid of the nonsense GM 2-key system. I am using parts from a '91 XJ, but I am having a heck of a time finding new key blanks for it. The Chrysler dealer has told me they are discontinued, and I am finding a number of places online(Quadratec, TeamCherokee, Morris 4x4, Acme, etc) that have listings for '86-90 and '94-00, with no listing for '91-93.

What is so special about '91-93 key blanks that they are so difficult to find? Does anyone know of a supplier for them? I'd prefer them to say Jeep on them, but can settle for the Chrysler logo if I have to. I really do not want to use generic no-name blanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I got new keys made for my 91 using generic blanks at home depot, cost me like two bucks each, I could care less about the logo. Blank 19R1 fits a 91, so does 19 (flat steel no rubber handle.) I keep a flat steel key for each of my jeeps in my wallet in case I lose my keys, the original stays on my desk, and the rubber handled no-name blanks go on my keyring. Always keep your original somewhere instead of carrying it because the more times you copy a copy, the worse the tolerances get till you are unlikely to be able to make a copy of a copy of a copy of a (you get the idea) actually work.

sometimes junkyards have ignition keys...just get one and grab all the locks out of it. and obviously the ignition cyllinder.
X2 on this :worship: exactly what I was going to suggest. both front doors, the rear hatch if it isn't gummed up (or if it is, and you feel like soaking it in degreaser and then regreasing it properly), the ignition, and the glovebox latch.

Back