• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tone rings- should they move?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
On axle shafts equipped with the ABS tone rings, should you be able to "spin" the tone ring?

Reason I ask is I have 2 shafts with rings, one spins, the other doesn't. The one that won't also seems to be a bit more flush with the hub face than the other one

Back in December I put these shafts in and had issues with the driver side one (the one that won't spin) rubbing against the unit bearing.

I was attempting to knock the rings off today so I can use these as spares, whats the trick for it? was whacking them with a sledge, and they weren't moving. Seems like it might be easier if I take the u-joints apart?

You should not be able to spin them on the shafts... if you can, they are going to drive your ABS HCU bonkers, it will think wheels are spinning when they aren't or vice versa.

If you don't care about the rings and just want them gone, try carefully slicing down into one parallel with the shaft till it cracks (don't cut into the shaft or you'll create a stress riser) and then pound it off, or use a press.

Thanks, I was thinking of cutting them.

My XJ doesn't have ABS, just these shafts that I bought do.

Would a little heat on the tone ring to expand it a little help? Only heat them if the shafts are removed from the housing. Too many other things to destroy/burn if the shafts are installed.

Back