• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap: 1988 d30/d35 to 1998 HP30/C8.25

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
I got a line on some cheap axles and am wondering what would be necessary to swap them in. They are from a 1998 XJ: high-pinion 30 front and C8.25 rear. My current are the 30 and 35, rusted up big time.
My main concern is the driveshaft. I have a NP242 and I think the 98 would have a NP231. It will be lifted with Rusty's 3.5" springs eventually. Anybody have any tricks/tips/info for me? These are from a '98 being parted out, so other parts are probably available.

Thanks

the dana 35 driveshaft is longer than the 8.25 so you would have to grabe the 8.25 driveshaft and swap your slip yoke onto that shaft. i think that might be it.

the dana 35 driveshaft is longer than the 8.25 so you would have to grabe the 8.25 driveshaft and swap your slip yoke onto that shaft. i think that might be it.

:huh:

I would grab the driveshaft just in case because he is right. The ds on a c8.25 is shorter than a d35(1-2" or something like that)

I ran a ds from an auto w/ a d35 in my heap with a ax15 (which is 1-2" shorter than AW4) and a d35 out back. the ds was alittle too short but it worked. I just swapped in a c8.25 and ds fits perfect.

DS lengths (longest to shortest, stock form) i dont feel like looking up real lengths so going off memory
Ax15 with a d35
AX15 with c8.25/AW4 with a d35 - probably the same, sure seems like it
Aw4 with a c8.25

the older 88's had a different style exposed slip yoke with a tail shaft on the TC. the newer style is a dry style with a rubber boot and no tailshaft but im pretty sure the u joint is the same.

the older 88's had a different style exposed slip yoke with a tail shaft on the TC. the newer style is a dry style with a rubber boot and no tailshaft but im pretty sure the u joint is the same.

Oh haha i'm retarted, he has an 88 and is getting the ds from a 98. gotcha! Yea they are different. I dont think the boot is the big thing, isnt it because of different spline counts?

I know for sure that a 92+ t-case wont fit on a 88 trans

The shaft on the TC output is the same iirc, but the slip yoke is different... or probably just corroded on what would end up being the seal surface, so it's easy to just swap your slip yoke onto the newer driveshaft. Yes, U-joint is the same, it's a 1310 series.

91 and up transfer case will not fit a 90-down transmission and vice versa, the switch was mid-year 90 iirc so if you have a 90 you need to check before doing anything with it but 89-down are all 21 spline while 91-up are all 23 spline.

Back