• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 4.0 build

xj9140

NAXJA Forum User
This particular phase of my build started when I traded my rear bumper for a winch.

Picture017.jpg

Before I built a new one, I wanted to move my fuel tank up a little, so I cut a hole

Picture015.jpg

I built a frame to reinforce the structure I cut out

Picture020.jpg

I drilled some holes to clamp the tank down

Picture021.jpg

I glued the tank down

Picture022.jpg

with the tank installed, I started on my bumper brackets

Picture030.jpg

Picture031.jpg

the receiver

Picture048.jpg

Picture050.jpg

I tied it into my hatch latch

Picture052.jpg

Here it is, finished for now

Picture054.jpg

Next I moved on to some frame plating

cheapy welder build

I brushed on a bunch of brake fluid to remove the under coating. Scrapes of with a putty knife real easy

Picture044.jpg

my 3/16 plates

Picture056.jpg

I marked were to grind
Picture057.jpg

Picture058.jpg

when I pulled my leaf spring the damn welds broke on the nutsert deal
Picture063-1.jpg

I had to cut a another hole in the floor and install a new nut, PITA
Picture061.jpg

I welded in a nut attached to some flat bar (see far left) those other plates are for plating the leaf pockets
Picture064-1.jpg

The rears complete, still need to finish the rest

Picture116.jpg

Last edited:
Re: cheapy welder build

Looks great! Wish I could do metal work!

Any plans to cover the tank in the hatch?

Yeah, I plan to build a cover over the tank. Either plywood, sheet metal, or aluminum, not to sure yet. I want to move my battery back there first and rig up a fuel fill adapter, after all, this is my daily driver.
Picture-1.jpg

Last edited:

Why do people move the battery back there?

If you do, I'd make a nice little spot for it. Part of your cover for the tank. Just to make it aesthetically pleasing for myself.

bumper looks awesome. don't mean to hijack, but how is your shackle relocation set up? I want to move mine like that to get some angle back and soften the ride. did you weld another nut inside the bucket?

I am liking this as well. I plan on plating my frame rails in the near future. Did you buy those precut or cut them yourself? I haven't decided what route i am going to take yet. I may go ahead and relocate my gas tank at the same time as well.

Do you think its a good idea to run electrical through your gas filler?

That gas tank is pretty awesome, ever consider a fuel cell or something. Interested in how your going to cover it.

That gas tank is pretty awesome, ever consider a fuel cell or something. Interested in how your going to cover it.

can it be worse than the electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank?

can it be worse than the electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank?

Good point, but I know for some reason or another, I personally can't explain it, and I am sure someone will chime in to say why it is a bad ideaer.. man now you really got my gears turning to why it is bad.. LOL

bumper looks awesome. don't mean to hijack, but how is your shackle relocation set up? I want to move mine like that to get some angle back and soften the ride. did you weld another nut inside the bucket?

nut bucket? I didn't weld the nut, its removable. When you loosen and remove the bolt the nut just falls out. I built the relocation bracket from some 1/8" angle iron that's welded in place, If I get enough interest, Id be willing to build some more. I could prototype some bolt on models

Its no longer my gas filler. I stuffed my trailer wire in there to get it out the way

Not quite sure I understand. When I remove my shackle, there is a round sort of bump on the frame rail inside the shackle box that contains the nut. It doesn't come out. If it was loose the shackle wouldn't be bolted to anything. Did you weld the angle iron so that one face is flush with this bump, and put a nut on the back side of it between the angle and the frame rail? I have looked at a few brackets, but all of them give too much lift. This is the first time i've seen pictures of it done inside the original bucket. I know its nothing complicated, I'm just collecting ideas.

Not quite sure I understand. When I remove my shackle, there is a round sort of bump on the frame rail inside the shackle box that contains the nut. It doesn't come out. If it was loose the shackle wouldn't be bolted to anything. Did you weld the angle iron so that one face is flush with this bump, and put a nut on the back side of it between the angle and the frame rail? I have looked at a few brackets, but all of them give too much lift. This is the first time i've seen pictures of it done inside the original bucket. I know its nothing complicated, I'm just collecting ideas.

yep, just like you described. I'll get some pics up when I have batteries.

Back