• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk or Wham and other noise descriptive words while going down road

unclethumbtack

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj aw4 4x4 125k, This has happened twice now, while driving there will be a wham and you feel the whole jeep jerk and it continues to drive fine. The first time it happened I thought I hit something it shuttered so bad. The second time about a month later it was not as extreme. I did not notice a jump in RPM's or anything. It feels like it was coming from the rearend. Any suggestions on what to check.

i once pulled apart an 8.25 that had sheared the retaining pin on the cross shaft and walked out into the pinion. the owner said he heard a loud thunk and thought nothing of it. drove it like that for a month. needless to say the cross shaft was in 3 peices and only 2 were in the bottom of the pumpkin. could be a possibility. pull the cover and check her out.:greensmok

I could be your Crankshaft position sensor. My 2000 was doing the same thing. The big bang/shuddeer was the engine stalling beliefly at speed. The big jerk/shudder was my rear pinion absorbbing all the shock. the trtuck would only stall for a milisecond, but it was enough to blow out the pinion bearing.

Back