• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tomken or Desertfab?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Getting ready to order a gas tank skid. Going to be for a weekend wheeler, I dont usually play in the rocks. Just want to protect the tank from scrapes and sharp rocks when ditch crossing. I haven't been able to get my hands on a stock skid, and it looks like some of the cheaper of the manufactured ones out there are these two.
http://desertfab.com/shopping/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=322
http://www.quadratec.com/products/72519_801.htm

Similar price, both mount to the rear crossmember and gas tank straps I believe. Tomken is 1/8 and Desertfab is 3/16. Tomken is boxed in, Desertfab is not. Anyone have an opinion as to which one would be better? Trying to go on the cheaper end, its not something likely to get bashed, only scraped.

i honestly woulnt used either, the tomken is made of 1/8 a lil to thin for a skid, the deserd fab is just a bent piece of sheet metel with zero structural suport

jcr makes a good gas tank skid, but its a little bit more expensive...

if you dont wheel real hard, like you said, i'd track down an oem. i just karma'd two away here in socal.

I don't have either, but I like the Tomken, and I stopped by there last summer out of the blue and they were super cool to talk to and they showed me around the place, Just the kind of people I like to deal with.

93XJLI said:
my 1/8" factory steel skid has taken a fair amount of abuse. and when i say fair, i mean a pretty good amount.

i wouldn't write off 1/8" just bc its not 3/16"

i bent up my stocker to the point where it bent up my stock tank and the fuel filler was pressed flat against the bottom

was not fun pumping .03 gallons of fuel in at a time

but she held up otherwise

Last edited:
Ive seen 2 stock skids in junk yards in the last 3 years. I broke my socket trying to get one rusty one off, and the other was crushed before I got back with all my tools. They seem to be pretty rare around here.

I was also kinda liking the idea of not having to fght with the nutstrips and rear hitch.
Are there any other sub-$200 options out there besides those 3?

I have the tomken one and it has taken a few hit without a problem. no bends on dents, but it has definetly saved my gas tank more then once.

I know a skid mounted to the framerails will be stronger, but also may be overkill. Not that that is a bad thing, but I just need something to keep the tank from getting damaged if it gets scraped crossing a water bar, for example.

all it takes a a couple soplid hits a weak gas skid and its useless, the north east is known for good ledges that you come down on

I know a skid mounted to the framerails will be stronger, but also may be overkill. Not that that is a bad thing, but I just need something to keep the tank from getting damaged if it gets scraped crossing a water bar, for example.

Yeah but I don't think the strap bolts are strong enough. So your gas tank may be protected but that won't keep it from falling out.

I've heard that the plastic tank is pretty strong anyway, so it should be able to stand up to light scrapes. I'd like to see someone make a plastic (HDPE) skid attached to metal L brackets sandwiched by your hitch. That would prevent the tank from puncturing, and the flexibility would allow it to bend back into position.

There is a benefit to a beefy metal skid though... It strengthens the frame and ties both arms of a hitch together even more

So what is the cheapest skid that mounts to the frame rails? Ive seen lots of mid $200+ options, is there a good one out there for less?

Back