• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 shifter removal

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace a weather boot at the base of my stick shifter. How the hell does the stick come off. I have been pulling and twisting at this for a while and its not budging. It looks like there is a connection for the stick to come apart at the base of the stick right above the weather boot.

The boot below the thick part of the shifter... Good luck with that... The shifter only comes out of the transmission, it doesn't come apart otherwise...

The disconnection is beneath the dust boot. Pull up the dust boot, and under it, is a retainer, more or less an inverted cup. It's bayoneted into the hole in the transmission. Push it down with your fingers and turn counterclockwise, and it should pop out.

I'm not sure how the stick itself comes apart. I'm not sure that joint is one that can be readily taken apart once assembled. I think it's just a way in which they allow the same transmission to use different lengths of sticks.

Hi! That big bulge in the shifter is where it comes apart. You need a couple pieces of hacksaw blade or stiff shim stock. Shove the blade/shim stock up from the bottom into the bulged area to dislodge the clips. This is easier to do if you remove the four bolts and pull the whole shift assembly out and clamp it in a vise.

I just did this on my MJ. I took the shifter out of the truck and could NOT for the life of me figure out how it came apart. Turns out that a little heat, a big vise, and brute (as brutish as my 57 year old body) force did the trick. Popped off, changed out all the rubber boots, slid it back together with some black RTV and forced it back together, Good as new.

just the other day I realized that I have the same boot torn open. hmmmm, I hope no water got in my trans..... that could be why it's having trouble goin into reverse and sometimes first. Then again my rig has 197k, and im not sure if it's the original trans.

Hi! That big bulge in the shifter is where it comes apart. You need a couple pieces of hacksaw blade or stiff shim stock. Shove the blade/shim stock up from the bottom into the bulged area to dislodge the clips. This is easier to do if you remove the four bolts and pull the whole shift assembly out and clamp it in a vise.

^^how I did it!

Back