• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle Angle Questions?????

93gc40

NAXJA Forum User
Will my shackle angle be improved or worse if I put the stock shackles back in, see pics?
These are 2" shackles with a S-10 main added to the pack, nettting 3.5" lift. If I used the stock shackle I would swap in some more of the S-10 pack to acheive 3" to 3.5" lift. Benifit of going to the stock shackle would be improved pinion angles and less strees to the springs. But if shackle angle wont be improved not worth it, IMO. What Do you say?
GEDC0045.jpg

GEDC0046.jpg

It will stay the same maybe a little more vertical. I've got the stock shackles on my xj with a dakota bastard pack and they're dead vertical. Recommend getting brians shackle brackets as they'll take care of any now or future shackle problems.

i have a full s10 pack on my main leaf and 2 in shackles. my shackles sit about dead verticle but it actually rides nicely. if u run stock shackles and more leafs i gaurantee ur shackle angle will point forward. ull be at a bad angle with stock shackles again

Get a ruler or something and make a line from eye to eye of the leaf spring. If the ruler is tilted backward, your shackle angle will improve if you go back to stock. If the ruler is tilted forward, the shackle angle will get worse.

BTW, when you put in the SYE and a double cardan driveshaft, the pinion angle won't have to match the tcase output. I think optimal for a double cardan is to have the pinion pointing to the tcase output. Unless I'm missing something, the best thing would be to leave it alone and do your SYE

I did something similar. I had 2" OME springs with 2" shackles. It was too soft so I put the stock shackles on and added one OME AAL. The shackle angle stayed vertical cuz the more you arch the springs, the shorter they become in length.

You will probably have a similar shackle angle.

Try this:

Add one more leaf to your pack.
Install HD Shackle relocation brackets
Install stock shackles and adjust brackets so your shackle is around 30-45 degrees (slanted towards the rear)

You should have roughtly 3.5" from that and an excellent ride. The relocation brackets will net about .75" - 1" depending on what angle you set the shackle.

i agree with the others cuz i know the more arch u put in the stock leafs that sat fairly flat stock the shorter eye to eye they'll become giving u poor shackle angle

Back