• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are these rocker dents going to affect structural strength?

larsbc

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. I'm considering buying this '97 XJ but it's got 3 dents. A big one in the tailgate, which is no biggie, since I can just replace the whole gate.

But it also has a pair of matching, fist-sized dents, right where you would jack up a unibody car. Basically, what happened is someone tried changing tires by jacking under the rocker panels, just behind the front fender openings.

Anyone know if these dents will negatively affect the structural strength of the unibody? I'm guessing they won't. But if I buy this Jeep, I'll still try to pull them out since I want to mount some rocker slides there, anyway.

jeep-dent-1.jpg

jeep-dent-2.jpg

...lars

Those won't have any impact on the structural strength. Let us all know how you knock these dents out. If it were mine I'd do a rocker replacement (welding and fab required). Or if your intent is just removing the dents, I'd open some holes on the top of the rocker panel and drive the sheet metal down. I'd then find someone with TIG welder to plug the holes.

Those will indeed affect the structural rigidity. To what degree, I don't know. Maybe one of our resident engineers will pipe up. I do know it's a monocoque structure and those dents aren't helping any.

By the way what kind of mouth breathing moron would attempt to pick up an XJ there? Another Wyotech graduate I suppose. :)

Mine are much worse than that on the passenger side and the jeep hasn't broken in half once yet.:laugh: It's been like that for 2 or 3 years now so I'm guessing it won't anytime soon. It's not like the metal is torn or separated it's just dented a little. You'll be fine. When I do plan to fix it I'm going to do replace it with rectangular tubing to strengthen it up a little.

I don't think it will affect much, considering how many XJ's you see with that portion of the rocker panels rotted right off. Unless the bending goes past the sheet metal we see, I'd just pull them out.

There a many XJ's for sale without free bents. Whats' the cost to buy this XJ ? Will thay come down on there price because these bents ? Any idea on cost/time to remove the bents ? By look at the LCA I can see it's lifted. You you know anything about the lift ? Add-a-leaf or full leaf pack ? with/out SYE installed.

There a many XJ's for sale without free bents. Whats' the cost to buy this XJ ? Will thay come down on there price because these bents ? Any idea on cost/time to remove the bents ? By look at the LCA I can see it's lifted. You you know anything about the lift ? Add-a-leaf or full leaf pack ? with/out SYE installed.
This is up in Vancouver, Canada, and its price is pretty good considering the condition of the rest of the vehicle. The owner's says her boyfriend's dad is a bodyman who might pull the dents for me if I buy it.

Lift is a Rough Country but I didn't check to see if it's a full leaf or add-a-leaf. I've got a narrowed Ford HD D44, with alloy shafts, Dendenbear knuckles, etc and an 8.8 that will go under it and will be putting in a long arm suspension, anyway.

No SYE and it's got an NP242. Since my D44 already has a Detroit in it, I don't think I'll be using the full-time 4wd option. But I'm thinking of putting in a Rubicon tcase anyway.

My main criteria is to find an XJ that is very clean. Aside from these 3 dents, this one is very clean and in great condition compared to the others I've looked at.

...lars

Two of our XJs have had new rockers installed. Before getting tired of looking at great chunks of them missing, they were very rusted and crumbling. Thankfully, they were never collision tested. Although, yours are just dented. Personally, they wouldn't deter me from buying the vehicle, and I don't think they're unsafe, but I'm no engineer.

Those dents will affect the strength of the unibody but not to a point to be worried about it. Every panel in the Unibody is important. I would be more concerned if the dents were closer to the middle of the rocker and a sharper crease. BS MET :)

Last edited:
This is up in Vancouver, Canada, and its price is pretty good considering the condition of the rest of the vehicle. The owner's says her boyfriend's dad is a bodyman who might pull the dents for me if I buy it.

Lift is a Rough Country but I didn't check to see if it's a full leaf or add-a-leaf. I've got a narrowed Ford HD D44, with alloy shafts, Dendenbear knuckles, etc and an 8.8 that will go under it and will be putting in a long arm suspension, anyway.

No SYE and it's got an NP242. Since my D44 already has a Detroit in it, I don't think I'll be using the full-time 4wd option. But I'm thinking of putting in a Rubicon tcase anyway.

My main criteria is to find an XJ that is very clean. Aside from these 3 dents, this one is very clean and in great condition compared to the others I've looked at.

...lars
I would keep the 242 because even though the Detroit prevents you from using fullltime on the street, it will still be useful to have an open center diff offroad. There are plenty of hard surfaces off the pavement, not every trail is gravel or soft dirt

was gonna say, you can pull those instead of pushing them out.

Also, IT'S GONNA FOLD LIKE A TACO :viking: (it had to be said)

the 242 is very versatile. i can actually do a front dig with mine if i have enough traction in the back. might be something wrong with it but it works good.

The rockers have to be structural. When you put on rock sliders, where do they bolt to? The framerail and the rocker pinch seam. If the rockers weren't structural, they couldn't support sliders. It's not just body damage.

Tell the seller that's frame damage and you want $1000 off the price.

the 242 is very versatile. i can actually do a front dig with mine if i have enough traction in the back. might be something wrong with it but it works good.

In fulltime with one front wheel spinning?

yup they are structural...what does the b pillar connect to anyway? nope in fulltime with an ox locker ;) i dont think its supposed to do that but it does

Last edited:
yup they are structural...what does the b pillar connect to anyway? nope in fulltime with an ox locker ;) i dont think its supposed to do that but it does
B pillar mostly connects to the rocker. I installed new rockers, things got pretty floppy with no rockers. In fulltime mode the 242 will have front to back differential action as a open diff has side to side action.

thats what i thought. it works pretty slick for front digs when you hafta get around stuff. just pull the e brake and turn with some throttle.

Back