• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hand controls

I have a 99 xj 2.5 liter 5 spd with the 4.10 rear end. I am in the army and after a lot of back issues I had a procedures this last one leaving my right leg with no feeling and unable to drive it. I want to get hand controles for gas and brake on the left side of the steering wheel so I can drive and tow again. The XJ is all oem. Anyone have any advice?

P.S. My injuries are from limping after a bad knee surgery and not combat related. God Bless and thanks for any advice.

What Rd from the MWC uses that type of control, IIRC, it's a 2 axis lever arrangement. Granted, his is a 4.0l/auto and he's got other physical issues to account for, but I'd suspect that may be what you're looking for.

i know my uncle who is paralized from the waist down went to a "handicap supply store and they sell the braketry and such for setting this up. i know he has an old truck (90 or 91 chevy silverado) with it still on i could ask if he would be willing to sell it (he does not drive the truck anymore). it would probably need a little fabricating to make it fit an XJ.

I know there's a hand throttle that mounts to the shifter. Don't remember who makes it though.

Thanks for your service and good luck.

i know my uncle who is paralized from the waist down went to a "handicap supply store and they sell the braketry and such for setting this up. i know he has an old truck (90 or 91 chevy silverado) with it still on i could ask if he would be willing to sell it (he does not drive the truck anymore). it would probably need a little fabricating to make it fit an XJ.

probably not much fabricating needed since the xj steering colum is almost exactly the same as the 90/91 chevy truck. my hand control system mounted off the colum with linkage down to the brake pedal and throttle. should be adjustable.

I know there's a hand throttle that mounts to the shifter. Don't remember who makes it though.

Thanks for your service and good luck.
That's made with bicycle shifter parts & cable. The OP is also looking for brakes as well.

Back