• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some newbie questions...please help!

BRUTUStheTITAN

NAXJA Forum User
Within in the last week I put a 5.5 in RE lift on my cherokee and swapped in 4.56 gears. Was under it making sure everything looked tight and was trying to find where I was getting noise from and noticed that both the rear yolk and front axle yolk look like they have both been leaking around the seal. Have been talking to a guy who builds Hot rods and he said this could be and overfill problem and it could just be spitting out the excessive ammount of fluid. I filled them both untill it dribbled back out the hole, my question is, is this overfilling and has anyone ever herd of a seal letting out fluid like this if it is overfilled? Also the lift came with a new track bar but now the tie rod is hitting the bottom of the sway bar my angles of track bar and the rod that goes from the pitman arm to the tierod look good but are off very slightly, Im thinking a dropped pitman arm might send me in the other directionbut would get me away from the swaybar so Im not quite sure what to do.

Any help would be great as this is my only vehicle and DD so keeping it running good is a must.

I don't think you overfilled the difs. When you lift like that, your going to put alot of stress on old parts. So, you may need some new pinion seals. What are your d-shaft angles like? Do you have an SYE? and rear CV d-shaft? Depending on what T-bar you got, hopefully the RE HD adj. Then you may need the T-bar drop bracket if you don't have one. DD's need adj. CA's and adj. t-bars imo, so you can get it dialed to perfection. XJ's are all different, some don't need extra stuff, others you can't drive without it.

I would go with a ZJ (Grand Cherokee) stock pitman arm. They are an inch drop more over the stock cherokee XJ.

Since your a DD, I would put some RE drop brackets and braces if you have short arms, on from RE. That will give you best ride without DW. Steering is very important. With 5.5"es of lift it's time to replace the stock stuff. I used Currie enterprises steering replacement set-up for my XJ. I loved it. I used the same steering set-up up to almost 8"es of lift with no problems.

DD's need to use the best equipment you can find IMO. Now that you have the lift on your going to have to dial everything in a little at a time to get it right. Hopefully you've had an allignment done since the lift. Right?!

Last edited:
For starters what year ZJ should I be looking at for the pitman arm or will any do?

As for the rest I switched gears to 4.56 and installed master install kits so the seals are new, also did a rear SYE its Pro comp but I believe its made by advanced adaptors so its also a new seal this is what makes me wonder how could I screw up 2 new seals. The CV drive shaft is on the way from Tom woods. The track bar is an adjustable but the CA's are not. We did a front alignment but I dont think was done very well, it was free and the guy was in a hurry. Im going to get it aligned good but am not sure if I should wait untill I get the pitman arm changed out or not?

Also Im getting rubbing on my LCA's should I look into spacers for are these a bad idea, if they are I have 3.75 in of backspacing should I look for different rims?

Once again thanks for all the help as this is all a new learning expierence for me!

1) Please, don't bump. The board software we use puts new posts up first - if no-one has answered you yet, it's probably because they don't have anything to add... And there are those of us (myself included) who need time to think on some questions - please, allow that time. You'll get a better answer.

2) Pinion seals usually just wear out - it's nothing mroe than a wiper, and they don't hold any sort of pressure. Preload is important - check it before you pull the yoke, and then retorque the nut until you get that figure again (usually a bit past the torque spec.) An overfill is not a critical problem - since it doesn't generate any pressure, either. Besides, unless you're very quick with the plug, you can't really overfill an axle - to the bottom of the hole is just fine.

2a) It may also be wear on the pinion sealing surface. It's positioned to pick up a lot of road crud, which can get into the seal and work like grinding paste. Did you check the pinion yoke for a "wear groove" before you put it back in? I assume you cleaned it as well - Scotch-Brite or 600 grit emery usually works neatly.

I can't think of anything else on the other stuff - but I still drive a "damn-near" stocker. My main expertise lies in the drivetrain, not so much the suspension, and electrical. You've probably got most of what I can give you on the subject...

5-90

My output shaft on the brand new SYE is spitting out enough lube I can see the mark its making on the floorboard....would this also indicate a seal?

Back