• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adj. vs Fixed Control Arms

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001, 4WD, 4.0, AW4, HP30, 8.25, 3.55 open in both. It has a 2" lift and I'm going to replace the lower control arms because the bushings are bad. Should I get the adjustable arms or the fixed? I took it in to get it aligned and they said my caster was out of spec. Can adjustable arms correct the caster? Should I get the uppers too?

You can use adjustable lowers to correct caster. I did adj lower and upper but my lift is almost 4". I've heard of ball joints with angle offset that some alignment shops use but I think a good set of adj lower control arms are around the same price.

It's to be expected that the caster is out of specs because you are lifted. They should be able to adjust the caster adjustment shoe on the lower arms to get it somewhat near specs.

Or you can get adjustables......

Adjustable lowers can rotate the pinion more than the shims can. If you are going over 3" actual lift get adjustable lowers. Adjustable uppers will let you move the axle forward for a longer wheelbase which is needed at around 4" actual lift.

Adjustable lowers can rotate the pinion more than the shims can. If you are going over 3" actual lift get adjustable lowers. Adjustable uppers will let you move the axle forward for a longer wheelbase which is needed at around 4" actual lift.

yeah true but he should be able to get it within specs at 2" lift using the factory adjustment shoes. That's if they aren't maxed out already. I didn't have any caster issues with my 2" OME lift. It was within specs.

What was the caster measurement the shop reported?
I think stock is +5 deg. If your within a degree (+4 deg) your probably fine.
If your within a couple of degrees (> +3, < +4) , it's bearable but the front end will
tend to wander a bit.

for lowers get fixed, with the adj ones the thread can and will get damaged from bein dragged over rocks, if your over 4" and you have short arms then its time for drop brackets or longarms, you dont want arms in the factory position to much longer then stock if you do you will have major amounts of tire rub in the frt of the fender under uptravel

If your staying under 3" fixed arms are fine,If you think you may one day want to go higher ,go with the adj. With fixed arms you shim to adj castor, with the adj arms you lengthen or shorten them as needed .I have adj arms on my 01 with 5" of lift and a HP 30.

Back