• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper frame inserts

3fifty

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the largest box steel that will fit in in the frame rails for the rear bumper inserts?

Will 2"x4" fit?

2"x4" is a perfect fit inside the rear rails. cut out the sheetmetal between the stock bumper mounts and notch the DS mount to clear the gas filler lines. check out my bumper build, thats what i used and how i did it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993533

I've done it with 2x3 but since the frame rail cracked I need to beef it up some inside and out. Due to the gas tank raise my filler lines don't run through there anymore. I just didn't pull the rear bumper yet to measure and wanted to order steel this weekend. Thanks!

i used 4x2x1/4" box steel on mine. i had to cut the end off of the shackle bolts and notch the drivers side for the fuel filler lines like posted above. the frame rail is sleeved for those lines so even if your tank is raised it may still pose an issue.

I removed the insert to inspect the damage so it's clear all the way back. That insert is only tacked on in 4 spots on each side.

Back