• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny help!!!!!!

Lvlooney

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I have a 88 xj with a 4.oL engine. it has a peogot tranny and a np231 transfer case. the tranny is broken. i want to put a np3550 in it or a aw4. What will I need to do to make this work. i need any and all advice. from the engine back. will i need adapters and will i have to get a different transfer case and driveline. I have till monday 5/10/10 to make a decision on what to do. worst case is replace the tranny with another pos and sell the whole thing or come up with another low buck solution. HELP!!!!!! PLease. I like my xj and dont want to see it go. Thanks in advance.

It will be easier to stick with a 5spd, as the AW4 will get you into electrics.

The 3550 or the AX15 are both good choices, and the AX15 should be cheaper.

You'll definitely need the correct crossmember/trans mount. Beyond that I'm not sure, but the search function should give you whatever you need, this is a common swap.

I would go with the AX15--might be a good time to upgrade to the external slave.

Back