• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ocotilla Pics

ckh550

NAXJA Forum User
Went Saturday night with my bro and his woman, and my woman with both of our XJ's. We got there late Saturday night, and tried some night wheeling for the first time. Pics and vids don't do it justice, but it was a perfect level trail for night wheeling. Not too hard, but you gotta pay attention. Rock lights would've been nice!

We camped out, it was about 50 degrees but super windy, real good for camping of course. Since it was car camping, we had the AeroBed all inflated in the tent......NICE.

Sunday morning, a few friends in their TJ joined us for a few more hours of slightly more difficult trails, but amazing views of the valley and mountains around us, as well as some pretty narrow trails bordered by HUGE steep cliffs. Speaking of borders, we were right along the Mexican border the whole time, and believe it or not, actually saw a Mexican running down the trail. He hid in the bushes when he saw us! Hilarious, hilarious.

Enjoy the pics!!

A little night wheeling....

night2.jpg

night3.jpg

Campout!!

tent1.jpg

Some rock climbing, mini Moab if you will...

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

rock3.jpg

nice pix, where is this at in oco?! doesnst look familiar.. but i always go to devils slide, and shell reef and whatnot:)!ps i want ur tires;)!

blackdoutxj said:
nice pix, where is this at in oco?! doesnst look familiar.. but i always go to devils slide, and shell reef and whatnot:)!ps i want ur tires;)!

My Claws make me a better man. I love them. I've had General Grabber ATs on the last few months, for my drive cross country and for my daily driving tires. I threw my claws back on this weekend....I forgot how awesome they were. So meaty, grip like crazy, and sound like monsters. I'm never going back to ATs after this set is worn out.

And yeah, that's Johhny's bumper.....bottle opener and all. Came in handy on one steep drop off.

Thanks for the comments. It was a real good time, definitely recommend it as a hard/moderate trail. We're stock axles and gears, open/open. But still some good rock climbs and challenges. Really fun trails.

Chris

By the way, anybody ever bend their Currie HD tie rod this badly? It actually hit the diff, and I had to use my winch to straighten it back up some.

I'm thinking free replacement......suggestions?

BentCurrie1.jpg

CIMG1882.jpg

Chris

What kind of front bumper is on your brothers jeep (I assume he has the bushwackers...)?

Not sure I like the end caps, but I sure like the skid and grille-guard..

thanks - Joe

Cool pics, Man I get you are glad you had that snorkle.. it looked real wet out there...:doh:

ckh550 said:
By the way, anybody ever bend their Currie HD tie rod this badly? It actually hit the diff, and I had to use my winch to straighten it back up some.

I'm thinking free replacement......suggestions?

People bend those all the time, good luck getting it replaced. :)

joehiker said:
What kind of front bumper is on your brothers jeep (I assume he has the bushwackers...)?

Not sure I like the end caps, but I sure like the skid and grille-guard..

thanks - Joe

It was custom built by a shop in El Cajon, WELDTEC. I think it looks good, but it was welded on to the frame, which he had done before he knew any better. We're trying to figure out how to eventually mount a winch plate to it, and that will take some custom fabbing. But it's strong and it works really well,real high clearance.

As for the snorkel, I got it for $40 when I lived back in Maryland, so it made a bit more sense. Out here, it's a joke of course. But hey, ya never know...

Chris

There may or may not be a banana peel on my antenna in those pics.......thanks for that bro.

And where are the pictures of the women?? Email me the other pictures, the ones with the (tj) in em and I'll send them to Tyson.

The terrain looks like the area south of the 8 East of Jacumba and West of In-Ko-Pah. Where were you when you found rocks like that near the border if not in that area?

John

Well my woman was the one taking all the pictures, I don't have a single one of her! And Brandon, I thought we had some of Julie...but then I remembered she didn't get out of the jeep a single time. Nope, not once. Hmmmmmmm

That's cuz I made her wheel in a thong. Now what?

^^^^^ LAME^^^^^^

ok, since several people have PM'd about exactly where we were, here goes. I guess it wasn't actually Ocotilla, but between Ocotilla and Jacumba, at the IN-Ko-Pah exit off of 8 East. Take that exit, take a right onto Olde Hwy 80 which leads back towards Jacumba. You go about 200 yards, and on your left there is an opening with an information sign. You can go either right or left and start the trails. It's one big loop basically, and it was about 2-3 hours of wheeling for 3 XJ's and a TJ. We all have 33's, about 5" lift, but stock gears and axles and open/open. Clearance is key, but even without lockers it wasn't too bad.

It was about an 1.5 hour drive east from San Diego to the trailhead.
hope that helps.

Chris

without lockers, I wouldn't rate that as a hard trail at all. More like moderate. Hard = anything at JV. Thanks for the directions, I will have to check it out sometime.

With your setup, you'll be bored on the trails. But there's lots of room to go off the trails and play around on harder stuff.

Back