• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
Im installing a pair of hood vents in my 96. I have a question about the OEM hood braces on the under side of the hood. I have positioned my vents and it seems like I am going to have to cut the holes right over the brace on the under side. I have seen a thread about just drilling holes into the brace. If I just cut out that section of the brace is anything going to happen to my hood?
I am not using the LeBaron hood vents, I got a pair of RunCool hood louvers.

Usually if you start cutting into the bracing the hood gets all floppy. I've never done it to an XJ but plenty of racecars. Can you notch out the vents to sit around the brace and just leave the brace in place?

I have done it, specifically the braces in the back. It wasn't my original intent, but that’s where I decided to put the vents. I can still sit a few people or stand on my hood fine. The hood is really only there to keep stuff off your engine it is not structural.

Edit- If your hood louvers don't go below the surface you might not need to cut the breaces at all

I didn't think to ask before but are you cutting all the way across or just notching the brace out? If you're not going all the way I wouldn't worry about it.

OP, did you buy the large or medium vents?

I got the medium size vents. I probably could mount them fare enough back so that I wouldn't have to worry about cutting the brace.
I was worried that if I cut the brace it would fold like a taco.

does it really matter where I mount them? I would like not to have to cut the brace at all or even drill holes in it. but I am wondering is there an area on the hood where they should be mounted to get the max ventilation. it seems to me that they would fine anywhere, or am I wrong?

does it really matter where I mount them? I would like not to have to cut the brace at all or even drill holes in it. but I am wondering is there an area on the hood where they should be mounted to get the max ventilation. it seems to me that they would fine anywhere, or am I wrong?

I have contemplated getting those vents.

I would mount them far enough back to maximize airflow across the manifolds.

One thing to consider with any hood vents is the TPS--they really don't like to get wet. You might have to rig up a "drip pan" for protection, and I wouldn't park it nose down in rainy weather.

Depends on what sort of ventilation you want .... and why you want it ;)

is there anything that I could do to the sensors to make them handle water a little better? I would not like to put a drip pan in because it may restrict airflow to the vents

I have the run cool vents. I positioned them far enough back and about an inch from the center 'channel' so that I didn't have to cut the braces at all. Drilled a few holes through them for the rivets, but nothing to hurt the structure.

If you really want, you can pull all the connectors under the vents and put dielectric grease around them to water seal them. I've had my vents on for several months and been through pouring rain and 2+ feet of snow and haven't had any issues.

I have the run cool vents. I positioned them far enough back and about an inch from the center 'channel' so that I didn't have to cut the braces at all. Drilled a few holes through them for the rivets, but nothing to hurt the structure.

If you really want, you can pull all the connectors under the vents and put dielectric grease around them to water seal them. I've had my vents on for several months and been through pouring rain and 2+ feet of snow and haven't had any issues.

That is good to hear. I have been thinking of calling them to see if I could just purchase one instead of a pair, and mount it on the passengers side--it wouldn't be over the manifolds, but neither would it be over anything easily water damaged.

dielectric grease you say? I can just put this on the connectors to seal them? is there anything else I should be doing to the connectors and sensors?

I have the GenRight hood vents and very minimal water gets in, even in hard rain or driving through a car wash. I sealed the vents to the hood rtv around the mounting surface. The engine compartment gets more wet just driving down the highway in the rain than these vents let in.

if the TPS is that vulnerable to water, then what the hell do guys do to it when they drive through 4 feet of water with a snorkel on there rigs?

I have the GenRight hood vents and very minimal water gets in, even in hard rain or driving through a car wash. I sealed the vents to the hood rtv around the mounting surface. The engine compartment gets more wet just driving down the highway in the rain than these vents let in.

If they don't let much water in even going through a car wash, how good can they really be at ventilating?

if the TPS is that vulnerable to water, then what the hell do guys do to it when they drive through 4 feet of water with a snorkel on there rigs?

Fording a water obstacle correctly, creates a bow wave and little water actually rises up into the engine bay ... as long as the vehicle maintains a steady forward momentum.

Wallowing around in puddles like a hippopotamus will require better vehicle preparation tho ... or a change in vehicle choice ... maybe a bassboat ??? ;)

If they don't let much water in even going through a car wash, how good can they really be at ventilating?

As long as the vehicle speed is low enough ... any holes that get chopped in the hood will ventilate the engine bay.

Hot air rises ... and the "designed" :rolleyes: ...... XJ engine temps ensure that there is plenty of it to rise.

Last edited:
Back