• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick lift question

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to install the OME ultimate kit from DPG this weekend and I have a quick question. I've installed 2 lifts before and I've never taken apart the steering, but on lots of writeups out there guys are dismantling their steering? Why? I usually just disco the sway bar and use a coil compressor and badda bing done.

Both methods work. I used spring compressors but it's more dangerous and with very tall lifts can be a bit tricky. It's not hard to pop off tie rod ends if they're not all rusty.

Last edited:
I recently installed the 4 inch OME/DPG on my 1999 Cherokee. I disconnected the lower control arms, shocks, track bar, and brake calipers. I got enough droop to install one coil without a spring compressor. The other side I did use the spring compressor and it worked fine. Steering was left hooked up. Kit went on and works well. Very happy with the result so far. (I have put about 500 miles on it so far.)

FWIW: I did notice the ride improved even more once I installed my new 70lbs Rigidco non-winch front bumper.

I have skyjacker 3.5" springs. I can take them in and out by disconnecting the shocks and sway-bar, ONLY with the use of a spring compressor. I am a firm believer in NOT disconnecting anything more than absolutely required. The more you disconnect the harder it is to reassemble things.

its not needed. but it's 1 more thing out of the way. if youre doing a simple remove stock parts, and replace with aftermarket. i wouldnt bother.

but for some of us, 'installing a lift kit' can easily include welding, its usually a good time to throw on stiffeners when you have no coils or shocks in the way.

Back