• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OHH MY LUCK! HELP!!!

JeepGodXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'll make this quick cause I gotta start taking crap apart. On my way home from work today I filled up the jeep for this weekend (cuz im leaving tomarrow morning) and when I got home I smelled a gas odor as I hopped out. Upon further investigation I noticed gas leaking down the front side of the gas tank where the fuel pump is. I stuck my hand up there and sure enough there was a puddle of it.

I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions as to what could be the culprit cause im runnin out of daylight quick. Im gonna drop the tank right now but any help would be greatly appriciated. :patriot:

odd that it would start leaking out of the blue, unless the hard lines going into the front of the sending unit are corroded. you need to see where its coming from. if its leaking around the pump mount behind the lock ring you need a new o-ring. you should be able to get it out without dropping the tank, i just did mine last weekend and it came right out with some clever twisting to get the in tank part out of the hole.

don't beat on the tank with a metal hammer and a chisel either when driving the lock ring out... sparks BAD lol. try to use a piece of wood and a mallet, or if you have to use a metal punch or something to turn the lock ring hit it with a coated hammer like a deadblow or something.

OH hell, just get the torch out and heat it a little...J/K Don't do that..I used a mirror and a flash light to find a cracked line on mine..
Good luck

if you take it apart don't use the same oring it will leak even worse. Andy(silverslk) picked one up for me at the jeep dealer for +/- 7$

ok so i ended up dropping the tank and turns out the lock ring loosened it self up thus creating the gas waterfall :gonnablow Ive never heard of that happening but oh well.

On another note, my wifes car took a poop on the way back from Autozone. It's getting to the point where its now funny. Started sputtering and bogging down like no other. Idk what it could be but thats what VW dealerships are for. :laugh: Not like im going to wheel the Beetle at Big Bear....

Thanks for the help guys :patriot:

And 20 gallons of fuel is heavy on de huevos.....:passgas:

haha at least it didn't spill there! gas burns the sensitive bits BAD!

when I was in auto tech school one of the not so bright guys in my class decided to pull the hose off of the fuel filter, without depressurising the fuel rail. a nice stream of gas shot into my armpit and ran alll the way down to my... area. lol. it burned both places for a good hour or so.

Back