• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaky fuel rail oring? save some $$

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
Just putting this out there to come up when future newbs search for help when they develop a fuel leak on the fuel rail.

I recently developed a nasty raw fuel odor which became worse when I turned on my electric fan (stock clutch fan has been removed). Of course, by the time I got the hood opened and looked around, the fuel had evaporated. All injectors were replaced about 2-3 years ago and not suspect.

Eventually I caught the leak - it was the o-ring between the fuel pressure regulator at the front of the fuel rail, and the rail itself. The conventional way to replace this oring is to pull the rail off, requiring the replacement of the fuel injector orings and the quick disconnects at each end of the fuel rail for the supply/return lines.
Well, I cheated. I used a small torx screwdriver bit on a small ratchet to unscrew (2 small screws) the pressure regulator from the rail, and also undid the bolt on the manifold that holds the fuel line in place. This allowed me to pop the regulator off the rail without disturbing the injectors or the quick disconnects. I picked out the oring and sure enough it had a nick in it. Put in a new ring with some lube and popped it back together - and is now leak free.
Be warned, those 2 screws holding the regulator to the rail are a beeyotch to get back in, because there is a nut on the back that you have to hold in place. I used a magnet on a wrench to hold the nut and washer to the wrench and that helped a lot.

hope this helps someone, sometime.

Back