• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going from 3" to 4" (Yes-I searched, specific question)

DrinkBeer

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to add another inch to my 3" lift right now. My setup right now is 3" coil springs in front, 3" AAL in sagging rear, hydro 8000 shocks all around.
Plans:
-Rough Country adjustable track bar (already purchased)
-Rough Country steering stabilizer (already purchased)
-1" transfer case drop (homebrew via washers and longer bolts)
-1" rubber coil spacer front (already purchased)
-2" shackle rear (sagging springs, it will level it out, haven't yet purchased)

Now, I still have stock control arms, and I really don't want to drop an extra couple hundred on a set. At 3" my Jeep rides great, and doesn't bump steer, nor does it wobble or track funny, so what is another 1"? If it rides nicely at 3" w/o a steering stabilizer and w/o an adjustable track bar will I be safe at 4" with stock control arms?

I'm honestly so close to scrapping this whole idea due to all the money that needs to be invested just for that extra inch, but if I can get away with what I have right now I'd really like have the little extra height.

So what should I do, scrap this idea altogether and resell all the parts I've aquired, or run what I've got and use my stock control arms.

Thanks!

a 2" lift shackle will make that already 3" sagging leaf pack sag even more.

if you think your ride is great with what you have, then i dont think you will notice the 1" extra you want.

what year BTW?

personally, an adjustable track bar and new RE adjustable superflex lower control arm greatly improved the ride on my 89 with 3" of lift. Bilstein shocks really helped with the ride.

i think its all about our own perspective when it comes to ride quality.

do what you want, it seems like you know what you really need, but dont want to spend the money.

hell, some people are on stock arms at 4.5-5" of lift and no drop brackets.

look into doing a bastard pack for the rear and get rid of the aal. imo

Its not so much the lift height that gets you into needing new control arms - its the places you take the vehicle...

the stock LCA's cant handle the beating from rocks and stumps that the aftermarket units can.

go out to your jeep and look at them...

Also pay attention to the geometry of the suspension. The stock geometry had the links parallel to the ground. your 3" lift put them at some angle, annother inch will increase the angle, and WILL effect the ride.

Another consideration is that your front axle will be moved closer to the t-case... and likely you'll notice that your front axle isn't centered in the wheel well - more so than you'd notice with the 3"" lift.

A lot of things to consider...

I'm honestly so close to scrapping this whole idea due to all the money that needs to be invested just for that extra inch, but if I can get away with what I have right now I'd really like have the little extra height.
If this is whats driving you, I'd recommend staying with what you have, and selling the parts you haven't installed yet.

What happens when next week you need a new radiator because yours sprung a leak? Or when a wheel bearing goes out and you need a new one?

Its not so much the lift height that gets you into needing new control arms - its the places you take the vehicle...

the stock LCA's cant handle the beating from rocks and stumps that the aftermarket units can.

go out to your jeep and look at them...

Also pay attention to the geometry of the suspension. The stock geometry had the links parallel to the ground. your 3" lift put them at some angle, annother inch will increase the angle, and WILL effect the ride.

Another consideration is that your front axle will be moved closer to the t-case... and likely you'll notice that your front axle isn't centered in the wheel well - more so than you'd notice with the 3"" lift.

A lot of things to consider...

If this is whats driving you, I'd recommend staying with what you have, and selling the parts you haven't installed yet.

What happens when next week you need a new radiator because yours sprung a leak? Or when a wheel bearing goes out and you need a new one?

x1000 he speaks the truth you won't notice the inch except for anything negative...

themud

I tried to run stock uppers and 4" and bent them pretty severly in Hollister Hills. Even with the slighter angle on them, they want to push back into the frame and not up like designes. Just my experience though

Back