• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 1st chop...

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
Well, what started out as a nice simple chop slowly developed into a full on chero-manche with a removable back window. I decided to cover it with grizzly grip bedliner since my body work is less than perfect. Let me know what you think...good, bad, ugly, and any future suggestions or ideas you may have. :D

Thanks
jmeti000

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

I like it but couldn't afford to lose the cargo/storage area and rear tire carrier. Every square inch is very much needed as is

I like it overall, but there are things I don't like. I hate the tailgate, and I think it would have looked much better with the backglass vertical instead of at an angle. Overall good execution though.

lol, no not stucco (although it looks that way now that you mention it). Judging by the color swatches I saw online it looked like the color was going to lean more towards the brownish side...guess not though :dunno:. And it is textured...its just a roll on bedliner, however they do sell all the colors in a fine texture too.

Other then the paint job and choice of tailgate, I like the way it looks.

What, if anything, have you done to strengthen the unibody up?

back seat is still fully functional, and there is some storage space behind it to store tools, fishin rods, and whatever else is back there.

I welded a frame in the entire bed area with sheet metal siding. The Rear pillar that was originally on the back hatch was moved up so the window would fit and could seal properly, otherwise, the A, B, and C pillars are all still fully in tact. oh, and also inside behind the rear seat there is framing to help support the body so it wont taco on me.

As for the tailgate...I really wanted one from an MJ, but all the ones I could find were pretty banged up. So I improvised for the time being, but its changeable whenever I run across a decent one.

Thanks for all your comments btw...much appreciated :)

I like how you actually finished it up, most people just chop it and leave it. I also like how the back hatch is still useable. But I'm with everyone else, the bedliner is not that great of a color, but if it fades to a desert tan it will look better.

Over all, great job! I don't plan on choping mine for a long time, if at all.

I think you need pics of it doorless now. hint hint.....

Looks really nice, But just like ^^^^ said I hope the the paint fades for you it will look much better then!! Overall nice job

nice job! I would say you might want to stiffen up the underside (the unibody and between the two unirails) to stiffen it up more than stock. Just to make it last. I will say x3 on hoping the color fades but its not like you picked the color knowing that it would look like that. Props for making it cleaner than most chopped tops. And I REALLY like the rear hatch still working.

EDIT: I wanted to add that doing the hatch on an angle like you did helps with the cleanliness in my opinion since you used the window line. Again, Great job!

no he chopped out the rear window section and turned the rear cargo area into a bed no actual chunk of a comanche on there unless he gets just the tailgate he wants. the color is wierd but hey thats what spray paints for :p

no he chopped out the rear window section and turned the rear cargo area into a bed no actual chunk of a comanche on there unless he gets just the tailgate he wants. the color is wierd but hey thats what spray paints for :p

That's a negative. I see a comanche tail section, to include taillights and rear bumper. The bottoms of the rear quarters and the back are a dead giveaway.

That's a negative. I see a comanche tail section, to include taillights and rear bumper. The bottoms of the rear quarters and the back are a dead giveaway.

x2...

at first I thought it was the photo just stretched out a bit. after a few looks I realized... seems like a rather clean graft.

Back