• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the saggggg

windle27

NAXJA Forum User
ok i bought a RE 4.5" lift kit for my 96 cherokee it has been about 8 to 9 months since i put it in. as for the question of the day why does my passenger side sag! is it coils? leafs? any input helps thx

is it the entire passengerside that leans or just the front or back of the passengerside?

if you have the flares in the stock location, take measurements from the center of the hubs to the bottom of the flares to get a reference from instead of judging just by your eyes. maybe it doesnt sag but the one side is higher then 4.5".

for the back and with the weight of the vehicle on the ground, not supported with jackstands, loosen both shackle bolts on each shackle an cycle the suspension up and down a few times. for the front, loosen the bolts for the control arms and cycle the suspension up and down. retorque all bolts to spec and see if the height changes.

I have seen quite a few lifted XJ's that sag a little on the right side. It has been explained to me as inevitable, as the right leaf spring acts as more of a torque arm than the left side one does. This eventually deforms the spring slightly, and sag results. My XJ ,(2001 with 3" lift, bastard pack leafs,) shows slight signs of this also.

is it the entire passengerside that leans or just the front or back of the passengerside?

if you have the flares in the stock location, take measurements from the center of the hubs to the bottom of the flares to get a reference from instead of judging just by your eyes. maybe it doesnt sag but the one side is higher then 4.5".

for the back and with the weight of the vehicle on the ground, not supported with jackstands, loosen both shackle bolts on each shackle an cycle the suspension up and down a few times. for the front, loosen the bolts for the control arms and cycle the suspension up and down. retorque all bolts to spec and see if the height changes.

ok i will probly try that this weekend thanx

I have seen quite a few lifted XJ's that sag a little on the right side. It has been explained to me as inevitable, as the right leaf spring acts as more of a torque arm than the left side one does. This eventually deforms the spring slightly, and sag results. My XJ ,(2001 with 3" lift, bastard pack leafs,) shows slight signs of this also.

i have only had the lift in for around 8 months is that still a possibility?

RE springs have gone downhill and so has customer service...my friends 1 YO 3.5" full packs are already sagging hard and his is a tar baby. but the torque factor on ur rear passenger spring is also a possibility. the crown in the road up here is also a big part of the problem with the lean i see in friends rides. just another possibility. never know

I have the rustys 6.5 after. A year and a half it began to sag a little from the driver side I added the teraflex shackles problem solved ..

it seems it be worse in the rear could i swap the leafs? left to right , right to left

before doing all that work, loosen the shackle bolts and the front leaf mount bolt and cycle the suspension, retorque.

when you installed the lift, did you tighten those bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the ground or on jack stands. you could have a bushing binding and not allowing the spring to flex proporly.

im not saying the leaves arent sagging, but eliminate the easy stuff first before swapping the leaves to the other side.

my rear 4.5" RE leafs sag to the right too. replaced the botom leaf with an addaleaf to try to fix it and it didnt help. thought it might have been my front leaf but im pretty sure its the rear

Mine sagged hard to the passenger like 1-3/4inches, I put an add-a-leaf in- now it sags to the passenger side. I give up and now live with it. I'll throw another leaf in the drivers side if I ever get bored or need to do axle work.
Mine sags, my cousins sags, my d.d sags and my dads sags and my brothers sags. Not just an re thing

the torque of the motor is the cause of all our wonderful passenger side sag. almost all xj's will do it to some extent. the best solution is swap ur leafs from side to side to even it out.

My 3.5" RE lift has a slight gangster lean in the rear drivers after about a year...

About ten years ago a new GC came back to the dealership i was at with a complaint of the passenger side sagging. Jeep designed it so it would ride level with the driver in the car.

Mine always leans downhill. I never know if I'm parked on a perfectly level surface (vermont ain't flat) so I never know if it's really sagged or just leaning downhill.

I just noticed mine sagging yesterday when I was finishing up on my rear disc break conversion. I installed the lift November of 09 and this is only my trail rig. I'll have to try cycling the suspension when I get home. Dose any one know if RE has a one year warranty or a guarantee not to sag on there leaf springs?

Mine always leans downhill. I never know if I'm parked on a perfectly level surface (vermont ain't flat) so I never know if it's really sagged or just leaning downhill.

That said I've had my DPG Trailgunners for a couple of years now and they haven't really visibly sagged as far as I can tell. RE coils up front. seems relatively level.

Back