• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main question

killerfly128

NAXJA Forum User
I just did the rear main on my Jeep and forgot to bout the rtv on the bottom portion of the seal .... how likely is it to leak like crazy? Do I really need to pull it all again and put RTV on those little side pieces?

At this point... might as well try it out and see. Spin the sucker up, if it leaks, curse a lot, drink some beer, and get to work again. If it doesn't leak, :dunno: forget about it till it does!

Good news is, it will be a lot easier to get the pan off.

I agree, let it ride and keep checking.

Yeah, give it a shot, but I'll throw the wet rag on the fire--odds are it will leak.

Don't forget to give an update in a few days. I'd like to know if it leaks or not.

Also, what year is this on? There is a difference between the seals for different years.

This is on a 95.

It is still leaking but I am not convinced that it is the rear main. When I tore everything down there was no oil on the flexplate at all. I find it hard to believe that a rear main leak would have not got some oil on the flexplate. I am gonna clean the motor later today then run it for about 20 min to see where it comes from.

This is on a 95.

It is still leaking but I am not convinced that it is the rear main. When I tore everything down there was no oil on the flexplate at all. I find it hard to believe that a rear main leak would have not got some oil on the flexplate. I am gonna clean the motor later today then run it for about 20 min to see where it comes from.

If your starter is coated in oil, then I bet your oil filter adapter is leaking. Do a search on OFA oil leak and you'll find out what to do.

Back