• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V6 in Cherokees

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for any information on the V6s that they put in the Cherokees. How do they compare to the 4.0 straight 6. What is their life expectancy in miles? Any major or frequent know problems with them? Thanks for all the input am looking to buy another Cherokee and some of the ones I am finding have the V6. Anything to look out for on them?

Thanks,
BIll

They put the GM 2.8L V6 prior to the 4.0's. Definitly an inferior motor in all respects. I think the HP specs are somewhere in the 140 range and the one I owned was a guttless wonder. Everyone I have ever talked to says if you find one, run!!! They can be swapped with a 3.4 out of a camaro with resonable results but keep looking and find a 4.0

x2 id look for the legend

the 4.0 that is

2.8L = Epic fail. Definitely look for a 87+ with a 4.0Lm, unless you plan on doing a V8 swap. The 84-86 had the crappy cv joint axle vs the u-joint ones.

had one 8 years ago
gutless as hell.
not worth the time when you can get a 4.0 for basically the same price
plus its carbed.
why not get the fuel injected 4.0?
dont those have the np229?
and i think cv shafts up front .
just a kinda crappy vehicle
but if it runs and smogs and you get it for free take it

The V6s make pretty good coffee tables once you clean the grease and junk off them and put a piece of plate glass on top

... as for buying an XJ with one in it? I wouldn't unless it was sufficiently cheap - say 2-300 bucks max. Tough(er) to swap a 4.0 into those engine bays though it can be done.

I'd buy an MJ with one in it any day of the week if it was mostly rust free, but that's just because MJs are harder to find in good shape and I'd like to preserve as many as I can.

watch out alot if idiots claim they have a 4.0L V6..... because they dont even know where the hood release is :rolleyes:

I hardly ever see 80's cherokees for sale... maybe an 88 or 89, but most of the early ones are gone. Especially in Michigan, your really finding more then one 2.8L for sale?

yeah just checked ebay, a couple FSJ cherokees and 88's are the oldest on there.

Last edited:
Must be all the salt on the roads. See them for sale all the time here in the NW. That must really suck!

I hate salt. More specifically I hate rust. Therefor I don't drive my XJ in the winter.

I hate salt. More specifically I hate rust. Therefor I don't drive my XJ in the winter.

What do you drive in winter? I love driving thru snow banks and pulling my friends out with my XJ. You just have to take more care of it in the spring to stop the rust in preparation for next winter.

I looked all around MI for a decent XJ that was cheap but either found junk or it was overpriced for what it was. Then i found a really cheap one with NO rust in TN, it needed a little work but cant pass up a $500 heep that just needed a clutch and the clear coat is coming off.

I can find nice and cheap XJ's all day around TN and most of the south for that matter. Dont be afraid to travel to pick up a nice vehicle, especially when you dont have to worry about breaking every other bolt on it due to rust

I think the HP specs are somewhere in the 140 range

That boat anchor only wishes it had anywhere near that much power.

Specs: 115hp@4800, 150lb-ft@2100 (as stated in 4 wheel and off-road's original review of the '86 MJ anyway, I've seen varying numbers, none over 120hp)

For reference the same year EFI 2.5 4cyl was rated at 117hp/135ft-lbs.

That would explain the general level of suckiness the one I had possesed. I do have to admit there was over 250,000 on the odo when it ate a rod bearing though. I have not so fond memories of that particular jeep loaded for camping, with 4 adults in it going over Stevens pass floored at 35mph in the slow lane. I got more selling it to Pull'aParts than I could selling it straight out. And that was with a straight body.....

Renix xjs are hard to find in MI, especially 86s. Ive only seen one on craigslist and I dont think it sold.

I have the only Renix in my area.

i too had a 2.8 xj. terrible fuel mileage and even worse oil mileage. burned 1qt per 50 miles.

would i buy another one???? sure what the heck, if it doesn't burn or leak oil then its a rare find. but if you want to EVER drive over 45mph, or run tires bigger than 30"s.....get a 4.0. or even a 2.5 EFI!!!

Back