• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size air compressors do you have???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has absolutly nothing to do with XJs but Im wanting to buy a air compressor for home and have no idea how big or small of one is good for personal use..

what sizes do you guys have? what do u think a good size is for home?

thanks

I have a 3 1/2 gallon one that I use for portability...tires in the tractor, on the Jeep, things like that.

I have a 21 gallon that I use my air tools with...air ratchet, air hammer, and impact wrench. That 21 gallon one was all I needed to get done what needed to be done on the Jeep during my lift install.

Found the 21 gallon (Central Pneumatics) as a brand new overstock on auction at ebay. That compressor and the 3 air tools (used) mentioned above cost me a measly $75.

6.5hp, 60 gallon Craftsman "oil less" upright. It'll do anything I could need it to do, but it's louder than most things I've had in the garage with it. If I had it to do all over, I'd choose a standard belt driven model, but I wouldn't want any smaller.

I built my Jeep using a 1.5hp 3 gal compressor. Loud, but works if you have the patience.
Picked up a 5hp 33gal craftsman oil-less, Plenty of power, but try for an oiled compressor if you can afford it.

I run a 60 gallon Campbell Hausfield compressor at home. It is 220v and an oiled belt driven compressor (which makes it alot quieter than an oil-less compressor). The thing you want to look at is SCFM at 90 PSI (the working pressure for alot of airtools). The higher the SCFM, the better. My compressor puts out 10.2 @ 90 PSI.

6.5hp dual cylinder compressor on an 80 gallon tank. It will run two DA's all day long.

Ask yourself a few questions

What are you going to use it for? airing up tires a few times a month? or do you plan on running something like a sandblaster.

Where will you be keeping it? do you have a place to mount the compressor, or do you need something that can be rolled out into the driveway.

What do you have for power in the place you will be using it?

Assuming that you want something for mechanical work, I would go for the largest compressor you can afford. There is no such thing as too much air.

I run what I consider the best all around size for a guy who would like to use a big sandblaster cabinet or paint a car but will rarely if ever need that much air. I use mine all the time! One thing I would get and not stray away from is oiled, they will last longer and be quieter. Also like said above get the highest scfm @ 90 psi you can afford.

Mine is a 230V, 60 gallon, V-Twin, Oiled, belt driven (with cooling fan), 18.1 scfm @ 90psi, Campbell & Hausfeld.

Campbell is a great brand, I have a factory 5 year warranty with this thing and so far its running strong. Its the "Maxus" brand of Campbell so its there lower cost model with the same parts....dont ask me why its cheaper? Its about 6' tall and at the widest point its 2' which is the cage around the cooling fan and belt. Depth from front to back is about 1.5' total. It has a nice sight window for quick reference of oil level and cleanliness. That's about all I have, I would recommend at least going to a local compressor shop if you have one, that's where I got mine. Sorry for my long rant.

Whatever you do,dont buy an oil-less,you'll hate life later!

1 gallon portable... sucks, but gets stuff done when it needs to. I've shot paint with it before, looked great till it all chipped off due to lack of proper surface prep.

Should be getting my current project up and running within a week or two now... it will (so the plan goes) push around 94 liters per minute (3.25 cf) at 150psi when running at 3000 rpm. At 90psi that'll be more like 5.5 cfm.

I made the oil-less craftsman mistake once. Noisiest thing out there, recovery rate was crap, it ended up throwing a rod after what amounted to 2 months of intermittent use.

I now have an oiled 2 cyl 220v compressor on a large tank, I think it was about $450 at home depot. I can air up all of my tires and it doesn't even have to kick on and when it does it's nice and smooth/quiet. Definitely worth the extra money and effort.

for those with the large 220v compressors, how are you mounting them to the garage floor?

0414101124.jpg

When I moved into my house last October I noticed what looked like a old propane tank next to my garage. Well the snow set in and winter passed but last week I went out and looked and turns out there is a 120gal tank sitting right next to my garage. My landlord said I could have it so my plan is to hobble together some kind of compressor and get this bad boy in the garage!

Back