• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird O2 question

Chin13

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of changing my O2 sensors and have been researching about brands and installation. I ended up going with Bosch sensors but when I went to replace them I thought I had 2 (non California Emissions) but I can only find one. I only have a pre-cat O2 sensor and went from the manifold to the tailpipe and could not find another sensor or wires for one. Is this normal?

This is for a 2000 Sport.

You should have four on a 2000 I think... or maybe two, I always get the emissions packages confused. There should be one right between the catalytic converter and the muffler.

Nope. You'll have at least 2. One before the cat, one after. If it's really a CA version, you'll have 4 due to the "mini-cats". In that case, you'll have one on each bank before each min-cat and one right after (You'll need to look more closely at the exh manifold). You won't find one once the pipes join.

Thanks for the info I was checking it out more and found the others, I had always thought that I had a non California emissions xj but found out that I actually do. I found the others above the mini cat and now have to get the rest I figure replace them all at once. Does anyone know wether that mini cat ever needs replaced?

Well, we should begin by asking why do you need to change them? If you're getting an CEL and error code, it will usually point to a specific one.

Unless there is a specific reason to do so, the CATs shouldn't need changing. If they do, prepare to bend over. Again, and OBD error code would point to this.

Back