• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Common Oil Leak?

kf_chris

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased a used 2000 Cherokee Sport, 4dr and auto.
It's totally stock from what I can see, complete with "old man" 225 70 tires (practically street tread)
I noticed an oil puddle under the Jeep this morning after I changed out the wipers, and today there was a loss in oil pressure (from the indicated 50 to about 35 or so). It ended up 2Q low after I filled it back up. The leake seems to be coming from the oil filter area, I don't think that it sprays much under system operating press but it's a concern because 2Q ever 150 miles isn't acceptable.
APpreciate the help, not to thrilled this is a first post for me.
We took it out to expore the abilities and I Was happy with the "flex" of the stock susp and we were very pleased with the stock offroad performance, can't wait to lift it with lockers and a winch.

Thanks.

my 96 leaks around the rear main seal but never 2Q in 150 miles. the other thing that i could think of would be to cheack the gasket on the filter. maybe theres two?? sometimes the old one can get stuck then you end up putting a new one right over it?? i doubt this is right but its an idea

The usual areas that leak from these are the rear main seal, the oil filter adapter, and the valve cover gasket. The oil filter adapter uses 3 (if I remember right) small o rings where the filter attaches to the block. It's an easy repair and costs less than 8 bucks. The hardest part about it is getting the allen head or Torx bolt (whichever yours has) out of the side of the adapter to get it away from the block.
The rear main can be a bit of a PITA but it's not too bad...mostly messy. 5-90 has done a nice write up on that one in our FAQ area.
The valve cover gasket is another easy one to fix and relatively cheap. This leak definitely can present itself like it's a rear main. I'd probably do the oil filter rings first and then hit that valve cover gasket and then clean the motor off really well and see if you need to deal with that rear main. I've also personally experienced a torn oil pan gasket that leaked horribly and I thought it was the rear main until I dropped the pan. Hope this helps. Welcome to NAXJA.

-river

Someone said the entire engine was almost completely drained of oil after the oil filter adapter blew an O ring. A rear main seal, especially on a 2000, I doubt could do that much damage. My bet is on the oil filter adapter!

It seems to be coming from the oil filter adapter, from a quick glance while I was washing it. I'll see about getting that fixed under warrantee, but it's doubtful, because the only thing I didn't get on the warrantee was the gasket/seal option....oh well. I'm used to wrenching (also have an 83 Ramcharger as a project) so I'll see if I can't fix it next weekend.

Thanks for the quick responses and great welcome to the site!

Blaine B. said:
My bet is on the oil filter adapter!

My money's on that too but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the oil pressure gauge sending unit could be broken and leaking oil. It often gets damaged when a careless grease monkey changes the oil filter.

It's the o-ring on the oil filter adaptor. I JUST did this yesterday on my XJ and due to a lack of the proper t-60 torx bit, I had to do it the hard way. This ment lifting the engine up enough to gain some more clearance to the adaptor. Probably overkill, but all of my tools as well as my dads tools are too damn big to get into the small spot. Not to mention my T60 torx bit has a 1/2" drive on it.

Mine let go while coming home from Charlotte to High Point friday. Luckily it let go AFTER i got off the highway and was very close to home, so I didn't loose much oil. Sure did make for some cleaning under the Jeep yesterday.

Go to the dealer and ask for the o-ring SET for the oil filter adaptor. For some strange reason they also sell just the main o-ring (the big one, which is the source of the problem) seperate. I dont see why you wouldn't want to replace the two on the hold down bolt since you're taking it out, but oh well. The set cost about $4 and they should have plenty in stock.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html is a pretty good write up that I used, but like I said, I ended up having to take the pass. side motor mount out and lift the engine up some to gain some more clearance due to my tools not being small enough. I'd like to get my hands on the engineer who designed that stupid part.....

When I got the old seal off you could very clearly see and feel where the bottom portion of the seal had hardened and gone flat, thus causing the leak. For the longest time I thought it was a rear main, nice to see that it's not.

this is embarrassing.
Although I'm glad I know about the oil adapter leak, which I'll keep in mind in the future. it ended up being the filter itself. Apparently something punctured it when I was driving the other day and that was a really easy fix.

Sweet dude! That beats ANY of the other options. Although my OCD would be flaring uncontrollably from the mess that probably made. Get a can of break cleaner and douche everything off and the dishes are done!

2Q isnt that bad, sounds like mine. Mines probally the oil filter because Ive desided the rear main sint leaking after spending 8 months after replacing it watching carefully for signs. The front crank seal leaks maybe 3 eye drops a day so its not big worry. The valve cover is new, Ill probally check out the oil filter rings this comming friday.

Im sure someone has mentioned that FRAM isnt the greatest since the valve inside it isnt good at holding back oil causing the oil pump to prime the engine every start which is a good reason to idle for awhile and not jump on the gas right after start up.

riverfever said:
Sweet dude! That beats ANY of the other options. Although my OCD would be flaring uncontrollably from the mess that probably made. Get a can of break cleaner and douche everything off and the dishes are done!

yeah, that mess was promptly cleaned up. I have cans of brake cleaner at the ready for any mess.:peace:

kf_chris said:
purolater, I think taht's how you spell it. those are usually what I use on all my vehicles.

Interesting that something punctured it....got a pic of it?

Back