• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME mod questions

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, stock 4.0 w/ auto trans.
Picked up used OME 2.5 springs a couple of weeks ago, also purchased a new OME steering stabilizer and have four OME shocks on order.

A few questions.
1. Will installing the 2.5" springs require changing the trac-bar up front?

SYE, from searching this forum it looks like I'll need one, money's tight with the kids in school so.......

2. Can I get by with removing the rear drive shaft and just using the front to get me to Moab and back? about 3,000 miles round trip. -or- is operating a 'front wheel drive' XJ at 70-75mph across Nevada not such a good idea?

3. What other recommendations can you offer to what else needs to be done? remove rear sway bar? front dis-connects?

Thanks,
Tom

i have the OME and a Daystar kit on my 98 very little vibes and the trackbar is ok.

Boatwrench said:
2000 XJ, stock 4.0 w/ auto trans.
Picked up used OME 2.5 springs a couple of weeks ago, also purchased a new OME steering stabilizer and have four OME shocks on order.

A few questions.
1. Will installing the 2.5" springs require changing the trac-bar up front?

SYE, from searching this forum it looks like I'll need one, money's tight with the kids in school so.......

2. Can I get by with removing the rear drive shaft and just using the front to get me to Moab and back? about 3,000 miles round trip. -or- is operating a 'front wheel drive' XJ at 70-75mph across Nevada not such a good idea?

3. What other recommendations can you offer to what else needs to be done? remove rear sway bar? front dis-connects?

Thanks,
Tom

The OME will end up at around 1.75" - 2" of lift.

1. Not a requirment, but a recommendation.

2.I wouldn't. Throw on a T-case lowering kit for now.

3. Scrap the rear sway bar. If the money's tight, check on off-road.com in the Cherokee section. There is an article somewhere around there about home-brew disco's.

Flowers

My opinions:

1) 2" of lift will shift the front axle less than 1/2", which is barely noticable. I would not bother with an adjustable track bar until you go higher (and you will).

2) I would not worry about an SYE until you install the lift and make sure you have vibes first. If you do get some light vibes (you'll feel it at 30-35 MPH) then i would start with a small transfer case drop (1/2" shoud be fine). You can worry about the SYE later. Do not drive the vehicle without a rear driveshaft. You will stretch the chain in the transfer case. You should only drive on the front driveshaft in emergency situations.

3) Remove the rear sway bar and install a set of JKS discos. They are about $120 from DPG Offroad.

930 or 934 coils and JC1A or JC1b's?

I ran the 930's and a spacer and the JC1A with the MJ shacle with no vibes (ran a 2° shim)...

I'd agree with Flowers though, have a Tcase drop ready if it's bothersome.

Enjoy the ride!

Back