• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Hood Latch - How to fix or get hood open??

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was just about to start some attempts at getting a dead cylinder fixed on my 92 XJ and for the first time ever I couldn't get my hood latch open (!!). Thing's been sitting too long maybe? But anyway- the release pulled out (more easily than usual) with no 'kunk' sound and the hood stayed shut. I'm really not sure what's up - but attempts to pry the thing open with a cloth covered screwdriver while holding the hood release 'out' completely failed. Not sure what went wrong - but has anybody here dealt with this before?? I tried searches for hood latch and hood and latch and came up with nothing...

You will probably have to remove the grill to get to the hardware.

make sure the hood release cable is still together by hood release puller or button which ever u have cuz mines did the same exact thing and when i look the pull for the hood release cables were broken so i had to take vise grips to the cable to pop the hood

what threads...? or did you forget to post something?

Well - the handle came off a long time ago - so I've been using pliers for a few years. the thing still retracts - so I'm ASSUMING the cable's fine - but somehow the actual latch or mechanism with spring At the latch is cooked (?). Sounds to me like taking the grille off is going to be the way to go... (ack). There's a torx screw visible at the seam between the hood and fascia - but I don't have a long torx driver that's so thin it would fit through. I suspect that would be kind of hard to come by...

Scroll down to bottom of this page for similar threads.

what threads...? or did you forget to post something?

Scroll ALL the way down to the bottom of the page. See the box with the title that says "Similar threads"? Choose one, click on the title and read. If it doesn't answer your question, hit the back button and pick a different one.

Another good source is here.

AH!!! Guess i didn't go far enough. How come I used the SEARCH function and came up with NOTHING... just random stuff about ANYTHING - but that one seems VERY on-topic..(?) Thanks!! Mush apreshiated... (actually being silly not drunk...)

The google search part of the link above works much better than the vBulletin search that the forum uses. Read up on the google search part and try it. You'll never click on the search button again....

Seems the best solution is mentioned at the end of that thread. NO DISASSEMBLY required. Hit the connecting rod with vice grips and yank em over... done... going out to try right now!

once you're done, replace it with hood pins, so it doesnt happen again! it will happen at the worst times

OR put in a new cable, keep the whole thing lubed, and it won't happen again. :D

... or that too... though I'm not even sure the cable's broken... but I don't suppose I'll know until I get the thing open!

Was just going to link that, Paradise. Haven't tried it yet because luckily I haven't had the need to yet.

try having a friend push down on the corners of the hood while you pull the release. If your cable hasnt snapped, sometimes they just get sticky.

Was just going to link that, Paradise. Haven't tried it yet because luckily I haven't had the need to yet.

Me neither, knock on wood. I do lube the latches, inside mechanism and cable on a regular basis though. Gotta keep everything smooth. I see people neglect their stuff...and then...it breaks and they say "why did this happen".:doh:

A good solution to that when You manage to get it open is..........Hood Pins. I never really liked them until I bought my new jeep now, I love them. I think I am going to get some black ones instead though!

Seems the best solution is mentioned at the end of that thread. NO DISASSEMBLY required. Hit the connecting rod with vice grips and yank em over... done... going out to try right now!

this is how i did it on my 89. laying on the ground i reached up and was able to get a hold of the rod with vise grips. was fairly simple as my 89 does not have an e-fan to get in the way.

Yes- I can confirm now that it works. DO NOT - I REPEAT- DO NOT USE THE HEADLAMP METHOD. A LOT OF UNNECESSARY WORK! - What's really crazy is that I found it almost impossible, with my vicegrips - to get hold of the rod - since the handles needed too much space to expand - it was an ergonomic nightmare!! But I WAS able to do it with my bare hand - having someone pull out on the cable in the cabin WHILE I was jerking on the rod (all those years of practice paid off!! hahaha). Okay okay- yeah I know... off color joke. But a happy ending nonetheless.

Back