• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque convertor fluid

87woody-atl

NAXJA Forum User
So I just purchased a new torque convertor and I need to know what kind of fluid do I put in it, and how much do I put in it, by the way I have a 87 wagoneer with a aw4 and 4wheel drive

TQ converter uses the same fluid as your trans..

Jacob; I improperly installed the convertor onto the flexplate instead of installing it to the output shaft of the tranny causing the threads on the oil pump to get chewed up, also bending the female piece of the convertor to get bend ,so that it wouldn't allOw the output shaft(male piece) of the tranny to go into the female piece of the convertor.

Sorry I don't know the proper vinacular for the parts I'm describing as female and male piece

It uses about 4 liters of the total 7.5 (?) of the TOTAL volume of your transmission fluid. It's not separate fluid. You don't fill the Torque Converter, you fill the tranny.

So I just purchased a new torque convertor and I need to know what kind of fluid do I put in it, and how much do I put in it, by the way I have a 87 wagoneer with a aw4 and 4wheel drive

Torque converter fluid supply is common with the transmission - so Dexron II/IIE/III/VI.

I'm not sure as you could actually fill{/I] the torque converter separately - I know they're usually a cast-iron b**** to drain.

Anyhow, the other advise is correct. "Service fill" (drain and fill) on the AW4 is four quarts, and a "dry fill" (full overhaul and new TC) is eight quarts. Therefore, we can infer that the torque converter holds a gallon of fluid by itself.

its always a good idea to fill the torque converter with fluid to prevent from dry starting...i always do. assuming you emptied the tranny id put 3 quarts in the TC and 4 in the tranny then go from there. just to be safe. lay it flat on its back and fill then stand up on side and roll around. might be overly cautious but its worked for me on maybe 8 aw4 tranny replacements with new converters every time. i also like to use b&m trick shift or royal purple atf if i can find it. never had a problem.

Thanks everyone for the info, can wait to get the jeep going agian,

90waggy; yeah I could have swore that I remembered my old man pouring fluid into his tc when installing a new one, thanks for the reminder

Not a bad practice to pour a half quart in there if the converter's bone dry. Often, that's all you'll get it to take sitting on the bench. The big thing is of course to prevent a dry startup- but if there's fluid in the pan it's only going to be dry for about a half second.

Did anybody else see the Monster Garage Iraq episode where they tried to tig weld busted pump gears back together? Jesse said it was from starting a dry converter, however even the cameraman knew to zoom in on the guys pulling the trans to the engine with bellhousing bolts. :D

its always a good idea to fill the torque converter with fluid to prevent from dry starting...i always do. assuming you emptied the tranny id put 3 quarts in the TC and 4 in the tranny then go from there. just to be safe. lay it flat on its back and fill then stand up on side and roll around. might be overly cautious but its worked for me on maybe 8 aw4 tranny replacements with new converters every time. i also like to use b&m trick shift or royal purple atf if i can find it. never had a problem.
X2. I fill it up, roll it around at an angle, fill it up again, keep doing that till it won't take any more.

Not a bad practice to pour a half quart in there if the converter's bone dry. Often, that's all you'll get it to take sitting on the bench. The big thing is of course to prevent a dry startup- but if there's fluid in the pan it's only going to be dry for about a half second.

Did anybody else see the Monster Garage Iraq episode where they tried to tig weld busted pump gears back together? Jesse said it was from starting a dry converter, however even the cameraman knew to zoom in on the guys pulling the trans to the engine with bellhousing bolts. :D
I've gotten 3-4 quarts into them before. Picked up my new/reman torque converter for the new trans going into my XJ from transtar for like $160, forget if they charged me a core charge or not (probably, I have the box to return the old one but haven't decided if I want to keep it as a spare or not) and it took most of a 5+ quart Valvoline Dex/Merc bottle before it was full. My only complaint so far (before running it, might be completely useless for all I know) on the transtar rebuilt is that those idiots apparently don't know how to pack things for shipping, they mailed me the torque converter thrown in a doublewall cardboard box with absolutely no packing material, just bouncing around in there. Looked like the thing got in a cage match when I opened the box, dents and tears all over the inside of the box but fortunately the converter seemed unharmed. I'm not the first guy this has happened to with them, either... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690054 see the fifth post.

JJacobs, we all know now that Jesse didn't always use good judgment and acted impulsively. Can you imagine screwing up a relationship with Sandra Bullock for a loudmouth tattoo model?

Back