• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch issue

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched countless threads but can't seem to find a similar issue.

I have a 99XJ.

My issue is that my hatch doesn't seem to close tight enough. When I go to open the handle it doesn't make the regular popping noise it basically just effortlessly opens. It closes fine and wont pop open unexpectadly but it's making some road noise (squeking) that is driving me mental.

Now on my 91 this was an easy fix, I loosened the pole on the bumper and basically slid the pole closer to the trunk therefore creating a tighter seal. On my 99 there isn't a chanel but a fixed hole so there is no way to move it forward. It is closing and holding out water etc it's just an annoyance at this point.

Anyone have an ideas?

Note - I've taken the cover off and lube the hell out of everything, but the problem isn't with the latch I dont think...

All I know is that the stock linkage sucks; replace it with a 3" modified turnbuckle (cable tensioner thingie) and it fixed all my adjustment issues.

NAPA carries the little rubber bumpers that the hatch sits against, they tend to get old and compressed. Called a "hatchback bumper stop" Balkamp #BK 7302515. Package of 2, under $5.00. It'll solve your problem.

Back