• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent poor idle on 00' XJ

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Symptoms;

Sometimes its hard to start
Requires giving it some throttle to get it started when it does this
Will die if the throttle is released
Runs like a champ at "off-idle" and has plenty of power.

I've checked;
Fuel pressure-its good
CPS, checks good
Unplugged then replugged in the IAC, no difference
Cleaned the TB
Checked spark and its good
Swapped out the ASD relay with a known good one.

My thoughts are that the IAC is going out. I checked for codes and there are none.

My question is that is there a "latch relay" for the OBD2 IAC like there is for the RENIX models(I'm more familiar with RENIX). And if there is, where is it?

Thanks

ASD relay is the same as the latch relay. Could easily be TPS (throttle position sensor). Check it out with an analog voltmeter. Could be a dead spot at closded position. Not sure what it should read off hand, but it shouldn't be that hard to search and find.

0.26 volts at idle and 4.49 at wide open throttle. Analog meter is needed to check for smooth transition without dead spots as throttle is increased.

Last edited:
Just had a similar issue with my 00XJ, rough idle and would stall out at lights if I sat for more than a minute. Luckily after spraying a full can of throttle body cleaner down the intake and IAC its back to normal. I was surprised how dirty it had gotten in less than a year. I'm thinking a bad sensor too in your case.
Poor idle=IAC
Bogs out when pushing or letting off the gas=TPS in most cases.
Good luck.

Two things that come to mind include the throttle position sensor and marginal voltage from the battery.

Load test battery to be sure; you can have a battery strong enough to start the engine but marginal enough to give the engine management system fits and cause stalling.

Did you verify fuel pressure with a GAUGE? Should have 49.2 psi plus or minus 5 psi for your 2000.

I had the battery load tested at Advance, it is a Red Top, it checked good. I checked fuel pressure with a gauge and its on spec.

I'm going with the TPS first and see what that does, still no codes on my reader.

I fixed this problem today. A week ago I cleaned the TB really well and put dielectric grease in the TPS, IAC, MAP connectors. It ran good for a few days then crapped out the idle again. My code reader was showing the idle at 350rpms:doh:

Still no codes

I decided to throw some parts at it, I replaced the TPS as most thought it would be. It started right up and then after a few minutes the idle crapped out again. The idle seemed to have a rich condition to it.

Back to the parts store, I picked up a IAC and the results were immediate, it fired right up then smoothed right out into a nice idle. I drove the Jeep around for about 30 miles of mixed driving while monitoring different inputs/outputs on my scanner. Its running very good now, picked up some pep.

Just thought I would share for those searching.

Back