• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a dana 30 dust cap

spjeep4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure there are threads out there about this, but did a search and couldn't find one. I need a set of dust caps for my front dana 30. I can see my retainer nut and since there is supposed to be grease in there that's not good. Anyone know where I can get a set? Thanks.

The XJ Dana 30 has sealed unitized hub bearings and does not use a normal dust cap. There is a stamped metal cover that goes over the 36MM hub bolt and it is held on by a cotter pin and that's it.

How about a pic of what you have ?
Never seen a dust cap for a unit bearing.Or grease in one.

Wayne

you guys dont run dust caps?
neither do i, but im pretty sure ive seen em.

...couldve been on a 2wd setup though..`

That's correct. The front bearing on a 2x is serviced just like a "regular" servicable bearing and uses a dust cap. The 4x...no.

Yep, what ParadiseXJ said. 2WDs use a brake rotor that's integrated with the hub. It rides on a conventional spindle with tapered roller bearings. Needs grease and a cover along with an inner seal.

SOME 2WDs use a brake rotor that's integrated with the hub. It rides on a conventional spindle with tapered roller bearings. Needs grease and a cover along with an inner seal.

correction =) some 2wd's came with unit bearings, and a stubby shaft. so theres 2 types of xj 2wd "d30" beams.

Yep. I have the integrated sort living on my back porch right now... wish more jeepspeed stuff was around here (or I was around more jeepspeed stuff) so someone would adopt them, because they are liable to end up on a scrapper's truck soon.

You can usually tell because on a lot of alloy rims, you have to remove the center caps to fit them over the dust cap for a 2wd axle.

correction =) some 2wd's came with unit bearings, and a stubby shaft. so theres 2 types of xj 2wd "d30" beams.

Well I'll be a ...... Looks like 91-93 2wd's that came with ABS use the stub (they call it "Dummy") with unit bearing (so it has the tone ring), non-ABS use the integrated knuckle/spindle. 94 and up use the stub exclusively. The parts guide makes no comment regarding the tone ring . Wonder if it has it even without ABS.

Ya learn sump'in every day on NAXJA. :)

The stub type with regular unit bearing is what I have seen at the junk. The real question here is why did jeep not give us all real spindles with either a hub or dust cap. Damn bean counters!

Even if you have unit bearing hubs up front, keeping a rim center cap over them will keep the threads & axle nut from corroding together on the axle outer shaft.

Back